Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remembrance Day

home99
Grafter

Remembrance Day

Hi Folks,
Apologies for bringing in a sombre subject, but watching the events on BBC at the moment (Royal British Legion Festival) and having returned from Afghanistan this year (experiencing the true meaning of fear), i often wonder if the decision makers who send troops to war truley realise and appreciate the effect it has on normal human beings. 
I am not talking about the higher level political (or economical) reasons for getting involved in such events and I understand the reasons for a response following 9/11.  I am talking about the human connection between the orderer and the ordered.
Just pondering thats all.
Dave

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Remembrance Day

Hi Dave
I know what you mean, I've been watching as well.
As someone said somewhere, the politicians should go there first (and without all the pandering) so that they understand what they're sending our men and women to.
Note, I'm not passing judgment on the rights or wrongs of being there, just that before putting people in harm's way, the people sending them should understand what it feels like to be on the wrong end of fire.
As one of my kids said recently, the colour of adrenaline is - brown.
John
home99
Grafter

As one of my kids said recently, the colour of adrenaline is - brown.

Never a truer word spoken.
I suppose in a way that these individuals (the decision makers) have to be objective and not let emotion cloud their decision but I do, frustratingly, hope that one day they will realise what they let people in for.  Not only the serving but the families of the serving.
Dave
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
As someone said somewhere, the politicians should go there first (and without all the pandering) so that they understand what they're sending our men and women to.
John

How would that help, in a war situation why send the politicians who have had no training in war, thats what soldiers train for!
Politicians are privvy to information we the public are not so do know a lot more about a situation than we do.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: PunKrocker
Quote from: hulls

How would that help, in a war situation why send the politicians who have had no training in war, thats what soldiers train for!
Politicians are privvy to information we the public are not so do know a lot more about a situation than we do.

How about if these knowledgeable [sic] politicians were required to send their own children to be killed?
Would they still be so keen for other children to die so that the USA could be assured of a stable oil supply?

nadger
Rising Star

At one time most politicians had been in the forces ( National Service etc) and had probably grown up during war time.
This no longer applies so they have no real concept of the realities of war.
I remember when fighting stopped in Korea - I was doing my trade training (REME) and thought at least I don't have to go there.
REME workshops I did most of my time at had a lot of civvy staff and several guys I worked with had been injured in the trenches during First World War.
As a kid I slept in an air raid shelter at night and saw enemy planes overhead dropping bombs.
We go to northern France quite a lot and one sees the rows of white crosses that each represents a life lost at an early age.
One wonders if we'll ever learn.

pcoventry76
Grafter

I respect all service men and women past present and future.
I'll always give them silence out of respect. and i always give money to the local ex RAF guy who collects for this legion chums
Respect. 
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
How about if these knowledgeable [sic] politicians were required to send their own children to be killed?

If they had been trained in the UK forces, then yes, of course!
Yadda
Grafter

I watched the RBL Rememberance Day Festival on the BBC last night too. It was, as always, excellent and very touching. I particularly enjoyed the Band of the Royal Marines, especially the Corp of Drums.
Let's not forget that many politicians come from military families, and some have actually served - Sir Ian Duncan Smith (Scots guards) and Michael Michael Heseltine (Welsh Guards) spring to mind although I'm sure there are others.
home99
Grafter

I do realise that there are a small number of politicians who have served or who have military tradition within their family. 
I dont think this qualifies them any more than anyone else because there is a gulf of difference between a once serving member of the armed forces during peacetime, and being deployed on the current high tempo front line duties.
I would opine that they make decisions based on £££££ and not on the consequences to human beings. 
An example - we are building an Olympic stadium etc at a (current) cost of 3.2 billion pounds.  Yet the armed forces are having to borrow beg and steal vital kit to ensure the risk of being killed is reduced even a tiny bit. 
Dave

PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: home99

I would opine that they make decisions based on £££££ and not on the consequences to human beings. 
An example - we are building an Olympic stadium etc at a (current) cost of 3.2 billion pounds.  Yet the armed forces are having to borrow beg and steal vital kit to ensure the risk of being killed is reduced even a tiny bit. 
Dave

Which seems like nothing related to your original discussion?

Yadda
Grafter

I know where you're coming from and it saddens me to hear about kit shortages. Some friends of mine who have recently served in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Royal Marines had no complaints on that front though, which makes me think the shortages aren't as widespread as our wonderfully loyal and in no way over-critical media [sic] makes out.
With regards to the politicians serving during peactime - have we had any peacetime in the last 30-40 years? (Northern Ireland)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

People seen the PlusNet logo today?
Community Veteran

I noticed the logo last week, and thought it was nice show of respect.  Even better if Plusnet made a donation to the poppy appeal.
John
Yadda
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
People seen the PlusNet logo today?

I hadn't looked until you you mentioned it. It's nice to see.