cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rememberance Sunday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Rememberance Sunday.

I was listening to Radio 2, this morning, and heard my favourite singer, of my youth,  Dusty Springfield,  singing this song... Never heard it before, so came on the net to see if it was available on Youtube....
YES!... and here it is,,,

a very poignant song for today, but believed to date back to the American Civil War....

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Rememberance Sunday.

I thought I knew all of Dusty's songs but never heard this one before.  Thanks. Smiley
Community Veteran

Just to say she was a great singer - perhaps one of our greatest.  She died on the day she should have been at Buckingham Palace to accept her OBE.
Dusty
nadger
Rising Star

I always find the march past at the Cenotaph very moving.
Back in 2000 we had a few days in Northern France/Belgium and went to Ypres.
We also went to Compiegne and saw the replica railway wagon where the Armistace was signed - Hilter removed the original, took it Germany, and destroyed it.
As we were walking back to the car there was a couple walking towards the wagon. Suddenly the chap and I stopped, stood to attention and saluted each other. Don't ask me why but our wives did look rather surprised  Smiley In fact we'd both done our National Service around the same time ( 1953-55) and had never met.
They told us about a very pretty castle a few miles away - anyone watching Merlin will have seen it. It's called Pierrefonds  Smiley
Community Veteran

that's a lovely song, shutter, thank you.
what is so sad for me is that young, perfectly formed, fit, beautiful people are willing to risk all for specious reasons.  although a prat in many ways, robert maxwell had it right when he asserted that 'jaw jaw is always better than war war'.  can we not devise better ways of getting our jollies?
Community Veteran

Was it not Winston Churchill's quote?
Found this:
Jaw Jaw..