cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember when......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Remember when......

Remember when, it cost 2d to send a letter, and if you posted it before 4.30pm.. it would arrive the next morning...

Well... from March 27 it will cost you Thirteen Shillings... and you have to hope that it will arrive the next day..

Royal mail is increasing the cost of a First Class stamp. (and others )... .... AGAIN... to 'to help ensure the sustainability of the Universal Postal Service'."..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-4257124/Price-class-stamp-65p.html 

Hint....  if you use a lot of stamps in a year... bulk buy now..... cos stamps marked   " First "  will still be usable after the price rises....  thus saving you money....

23 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Remember when......

I just about remember the 3p first class stamp and 2 1/2 p second class one.  People actually chose to pay 1/2 p less for non-urgent letters.

Fixes: 125

I rarely post stuff these days but the odd birthday and Xmas cards are OK.

I remember when I used to send out around 40 or so Xmas cards each year costing around £2 (1st Class). These days it would cost £26!!!

Lots of people commenting that why bother using post but imagine a 5-year-old's eyes wide open with anticipation on receiving a card in the post from nan and granddad on his birthday against the quick click of a key or button on their tablet or smartphoneThumbs Up

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Agree about the young child`s birthday....  kids love to get cards... makes them feel special.. ( and a bit "grown up" ) !

I have an old school friend the same age as me who doesn't have a PC or Smartphone (or any mobile phone) although ,his family does, so post is the only option for sending him cards. Something tells me that even if he did have the above I would still enjoy going into the card shop, choosing a good card then writing in it and posting it. We only see each other around once or twice a year so it also shows a level of effort we still put into each other's friendship after all these yearsCool

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Remember when the postman and milkman delivered before you left for work.

And postcard rate and unsealed letter rate.

I remember buying a cold pinta off the milkman on the way to work... No shops open that time in the morning.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

Hint....  if you use a lot of stamps in a year... bulk buy now..... cos stamps marked   " First "  will still be usable after the price rises....  thus saving you money....

And if you hold on to them for several price rises you can make a small profit too.. though there has to be easier ways..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

billnotben wrote:

Remember when the postman and milkman delivered before you left for work.

And postcard rate and unsealed letter rate.

Didn't he wait 'til after that for friendly lady customers? Well according to the B Hill encyclopedia he did.EvilCrazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember the day when people bothered sending letters, these days we just email things and if we need a paper copy we print it out the same day it was sent... Funny

But that said, I bought something off ebay Thursday morning (during the middle of the night forum tennis match!!), seller packed & sent it the same day by 2nd class post, and it arrived yesterday, so why the heck do we have this first & second class thing these days when the only real difference is the cost?? Funny

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

I can't see what all the fuss is about. Paying someone 65p to hand deliver a letter several hundred miles away on a frosty morning is dirt cheap. You couldn't do it yourself for that price.

You could always do like some people and soak the un-franked stamps off the letters and re-use them if your short on cash. Some stamps can still be soaked off if you're careful.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@MKSlinky - I agree best value ever is the Royal Mail, well for letters at least but as regard the re-use of stamps you sound as if you're taking from experience. Grin

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Mook

Yes Thumbs Up

Christmas is the only time when I get lots of letters and due to the vast workload at the sorting office many cards / letters are not franked. My argument if questioned why I am reusing a stamp would be this, I wrote the wrong address on the envelope and had to re-write a new one. As my stamp had not yet been used I re-applied it to the new envelope. Problem solved.

Fixes: 47

I used to get a Christmas card from a cousin which usually included a hand written letter detailing family and friend news.

I specify 'hand written' as she never had or used a computer and hand wrote all communication.

As a result her handwriting was very good unlike mine that has deteriorated over the years due to lack of practice.

When I write a card it's usually in block capitals to ensure that the recipient can actually read it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Strat

Me too! I did quite a lot of technical drawings when working on the always years ago, neat capitalised writing always looks nicer and certainly grabs your attention better than lowercase.

I also learnt from doing graphic design that certain font styles can actually relax the eyes. Font styles such as Times New Roman also known as a 'Serif Font Style' are more commonly used in books. It's easier on the eye and doesn't give eye strain.

'Sans Serif Font Styles' such as Arial however are more abrupt which keeps us more alert. Serif fonts are generally used for headings or things that the author wants you to take notice of. It's also the reason that car number plates use a Sans Serif Font.