cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular subscriber line tests

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Regular subscriber line tests

Someone asked if the regular line tests still take place and seems from what I witness here they do.....

I have a set of BT8500 and if the base unit is unplugged from the line at the wall socket, their displays light up briefly with a 'line cord disconnected' message. I have seen it several times now, at around 23:10. Obviously I would have to sit there 24/7 to spot it every time it happened. The test doesn't seem to affect our copper broadband, the modem maintains it connection for days/weeks/months - reading the modems log. My guess is it checks whether the line is in use, before testing the line, because I have never had a call interrupted.

6 REPLIES
teardrop70

Re: Regular subscriber line tests

Hiya, just found your post about Regular subscriber tests, I think that I may be falling foul of the same problem.

I last used my phone at about 13.00 today and it worked. However, at 15.45 there is nothing on my phone, whilst my Broadband is still connected. After faffing about signing onto the forums my phone is still not working at 16.00

Teardrop

harrym1byt
Rising Star

I suspect you problem is not related to line tests. My line was back and working, quicker than I could pick the phone up (at the side of me), after seeing it come up on the screen - so probably less than a couple of seconds.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

teardrop70

Hello there harrym1byt, after my post I checked the line again at 16.15 and it was back on and nothing had been done.

I checked with plusnet and the faq said to try another phone plugged direct into the incoming socket but I hadn't got a phone available and I was going to try again tomorrow when I could borrow a phone.

Luckily the line then came back on. I suspect that some work was being carried out on my line. I think that we should be informed if there is a likelyhood of no service for a period of time as a common courtesy. I can live with the phone being out of order but it would be nice to know!

Teardrop

mort7890
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did make a report of this some time back but was informed by anoush that no one tested the line. However I have made a note of the same problem "line cord error" as follows

Friday 15-12-17 time 21.02

Thurs 21-12-17 time 21.00

Mon 25-12-17 time 20.58

Sat 30-12-17 time 20.42

Thurs 04-01-18 time 20.56

Sat 20-01-18 time 20.59

Thurs 25-01-18 time 20.53

Tue 30-01-18 time 20.59

BT phone 6500  goes into line cord error around 21.00hrs so I think yes a regular line test still takes place. This was regular when I had reported a fault but now it is spasmodic on the dates/days but always around 21.00.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

As an ex-employee, I know that BT certainly used to do overnight batch testing on subscribers' lines.

I was never directly involved, but as I understand it, it wasn't every line every night. If a particular area was experiencing a surge in underground network problems, there might be regular testing for a month, say, to identify where the maintenance effort needed to be concentrated.

A couple of years ago, the mechanical bell on my line started to 'ting' once every night around 11:30. This went on for three or four weeks.

I'm sure, therefore, that batch testing still goes on, but it will be at the behest of Openreach, not the ISPs.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
teardrop70

Hi there 198khz, thanks for your info, however, my line was off again last night at about 18.00 so I contacted plusnet chat as I still have broadband.

They carried out a line test and found an external problem between DP and my house.

They have contacted Openreach who will effect a repair by 7th Feb.

So best not to hang about but speak to people!

Many thanks

Teardrop