cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration - why?

Fixes: 125

Registration - why?

We needed a replacement basket cover for one of the drawers in our Beko Fridge Freezer (over 12 years old and still going strong).
Google search bought up two companies selling for between £14 and £15 + delivery. What I didn't like was both companies required registration for this one-off purchase so had a look on eBay. Same item less than £13 and free delivery - a no-brainer.
Why do so many companies insist on registering? This is not the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Registration - why?

Unable to answer your question but I guess you will have seen this regarding Beko,
https://refsafety.beko.co.uk/

Thanks for the link.
Wasn't that recall a while ago? I seem to remember checking it then Undecided
Checked our freezer against their list just now and it isn't on it.
Thought I'd follow the link at the bottom any way and, yet again, they want your name, telephone number, email, blood type... Well, maybe not blood type but you get my drift. Then there is the following:
In order to remove you from our list and prevent you from receiving any more future contact from us regarding this matter, we would ask if you could supply the details below. This data shall not be used for any other purpose and remains subject to the Data Protection Act.

To remove me from their list? If they didn't ask for the details they wouldn't have to remove me Cheesy
Surely, all that is required is a check through their database and a message saying it's either on or off the list and what to do if it's on. If they have no intention of using your data why ask for it. Needless to say, I didn't enter any details.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They probably make a bit of money by selling your details to research companies.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My webshop requires registration so I can verify the address you've given for delivery is the same as that on the Paypal account. It also means that I can quickly lookup full customer details easily if I need to contact the customer.
It does however have an instant checkout function where you can use Paypal to complete the process rather than signing up an account to shop but as I've only had a couple of orders I don't know how well that will work ......
randpwar
Grafter

I get annoyed when asked irrelevant questions by shops / companies.
Most recently we’ve had a courtesy car following a minor crash returning from a few days away. Went to pick the car up and was asked who I was employed by. I told them that I wasn’t going to tell them as it is none of their business given that I wouldn’t be expected to fund the car. The bloke blathered on for a minute, TBH he just spoke words that almost made no sense and altered nothing ie they didn’t need to know my employers for me to pick up a car paid for by the insurance of the people that hit us. I again politely pointed out that it was completely irrelevant. He looked a little shocked that anyone should not be completely casual about giving out this type of information about himself to anyone that asked but handed over the keys 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

On a personal note..... yesterday, I was crew on a trip boat... and chatting to one of the customers, about working on the boat, he first asked if I was retired, then when I said yes, he asked me what I did before I retired... I replied "  oh... many different things...."..  to which he replied... "Oh so you`re not going to tell me, then?"... to which I replied... "Yes... that`s right".. he then asked me if I was connected to the government services, which I said, (truthfully)  Yes.... "  Ah " he said " so Official secrets act then "... I just nodded and left it at that  ! ! ! ! .... Later heard him talking to someone else, and it turns out that I used to work for MI5 ! ! ! ..  Cheesy
Community Veteran

No doubt many of the documents you had access to were marked "classified" From my recollection that grade was applied to toilet paper and upwards to the real secret stuff.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
randpwar
Grafter

Come on then shutter, spill the beans; have we really made contact with aliens?  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m not ready to die yet.......  Lips are sealed

Quote from: randpwar
Come on then shutter, spill the beans; have we really made contact with aliens?  Cheesy

Judging by the shenanigans in Chit Chat recently I fear the answer may be yes  Tongue

nanotm
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
No doubt many of the documents you had access to were marked "classified" From my recollection that grade was applied to toilet paper and upwards to the real secret stuff.

most stuff was marked restricted, that included the banner catalogue (on every page) although the funniest marking I ever had was a package of eyes only file holders (just the empty cardboard folders) were marked as top secret yet the office was littered with them ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
What I didn't like was both companies required registration for this one-off purchase so had a look on eBay. Same item less than £13 and free delivery - a no-brainer.

Bet you registered on ebay at some point though didn't you  Tongue
I also fail to understand why everyone wants you to register etc. Ok admittedly it probably makes it easier for repeated customers - only inputting their address once etc but for one off purchases it's a bit strange.
I have come across a few sites online where they let you order direct with no registration but it's rare - as Mav says, everyone wants memberships - presumably to boost the value of their company because they have some stupidly high member base  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: 7up
Bet you registered on ebay at some point though didn't you  Tongue

Oh , bugger, you caught me out Tongue Wink

Community Veteran

Quote from: randpwar
I get annoyed when asked irrelevant questions by shops / companies.

I had to go through and turn off ever non relevant "required" field on my webshop - I only want the basic details for my customers. I certainly don't need to know their date of birth !
Also on the forums, I suffer a lot from spammers but don't use a more complicated captcha as I personally hate them.