cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished items

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Refurbished items

Have you ever purchased or thought about purchasing a refurbished item and if so how did you get on.
The only thing I ever got refurbished was a Canon ip4500 printer, as it came with a new set of original cartridges and print head that fitted another canon model I had it would have been a bargain even if it did work for long but as it turned out I have had years of service from it but it did come from an official canon outlet.
Firms on ebay, Amazon and others sell refurbished stock and I think you can still return stuff within a certain time limit but what happens after that time is up, can the term fit for use for a reasonable time still apply or have you given up your rights by buying refurbished which is perhaps another word for secondhand.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Refurbished items

I got a refurbished HDD from somewhere on Ebay.... half the price of the new one.. for the same size..  that was years ago...
still using it.... no probs.... 
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, normally on Amazon and ebay they state what guarantee you will be given with the items. If not send an email and ask, then you have something in writing if you have a problem.
Marksfish
Grafter

Refurbed laptop, printer, telly, and other stuff. I usually buy them from Currys or Tesco as they usually still come with the 1 year warranty. If you buy direct rather than in an auction, you still have the sale of goods act to to fall back on, refurbished or not.
Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

There are also different versions of refurbished..
Some versions mean like new. Others mean.. we got it to turn on and work, blew some dust off and called it refurbished.
We got a new computer back in february.. well i say new, second hand but the seller claimed it was "professionally refurbished".
Got here, front panel fell off, the top was bent stopping the dvd drive from opening / closing, the inside was caked with dust...
I could of sent it back but i couldn't be bothered with the hassle and frankly i'd rather have a few minor annoyances and a machine that works instead of another week of pratting around with a seller that hasn't been completely honest about their standards of "professionally refurbished". They claimed it was courier damage.. oddly the box had no signs of this at all.. and it was packed in so much bubble wrap that it would be impossible for the ecourier to have damaged it. Nice guys and they did upgrade it to my requirements before sending but i wasn't very happy with their standards.
Doesn't take long to clean out a bit of dust does it.. and put a bit of glue on some plastic.
So you do have to be a bit careful, refurbed stuff from the company that made it or their distributors i wouldn't worry about (my netbook came from one) but you have to be a bit careful with the smaller companies.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We used to have a duff trading room support engineer, related to the Chairman. He often made mistakes, but was useful for feeding back information via his family. His employment status was inviolable. We'd deploy him to users who were persistently or unreasonably rude to our Helpdesk Team. They would soon get the message after he'd fixed/refurbished their machine and it no longer worked properly.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

Have purchased a couple of manager's specials from Humax with no problems
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
We used to have a duff trading room support engineer, related to the Chairman. He often made mistakes, but was useful for feeding back information via his family. His employment status was inviolable. We'd deploy him to users who were persistently or unreasonably rude to our Helpdesk Team. They would soon get the message after he'd fixed/refurbished their machine and it no longer worked properly.

Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not really much of a refurbished item buyer myself (the only thing I've bought was the Samsung bluray player in the living room), more of a refurbisher, as when I worked a the computer shop I used to strip down systems, clean them up and rebuild them into reconfigured systems (taking the best parts to make the best refurbs, the worst to make budget refurbs), but always making sure they were clean, worked and the cases were in good shape... Smiley
Did the same with laptops too, usually coming from piles of ex-corporate laptops with varying degrees of damage, wear and specs, and made a lot of good ones out of stacks of rather unimpressive ones, the leftovers got scrapped though (after all, there's only so many cracked screens you can put up with in the stock room!!), it was quite enjoyable doing that, but, these days everything's so anti-repair with the way things are built that it's not as easy or as profitable as it used to be... Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've got several "refurbs" with no issues, My laptop an X61 was a fraction of the new cost, battery check showed it had been used for a TOTAL of 200 hours.
With most electronic equipment it will fail in the first few days or work for a long time. As long as you get a 3-6 month guarantee then it will be fine. (you also still have the sale of goods act)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've bought several refurbished phones in the last 5 years, most of them were still operational when they got traded in for something else
worst thing I've bought was a replacement tablet screen (took 5 attempts for the company to send me one that worked) but stripping the device down and swapping it over took about 2 mins, once done I sold the tablet on ebay and managed to get the same price for it (listed as having had a screen replacement) as i'd paid originally
normally I don't buy things listed as seconds or refurbished if they are electrical, but i'll happily buy spare parts and fix something that doesn't work which I did maybe 20 times with spares or repairs laptops in the past then sold them on as refurbished.....always made a few quid on each sale but not enough to have made a living out of it
fortunately the spares have come way down in price in the last few years when the kids school said it would cost £100 for the issued ipad to get a replacement screen and take up to 6 weeks to be done I checked ebay and had it fixed  for under £30 two days later ........ the replacement screen has lasted longer than the original one despite receiving more abuse in the same time frame .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you