cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refugee Crisis ( POLL )

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Refugee Crisis ( POLL )

Hearing all the celebrities and even the Scottish First Minister ( has the Prime Minister made an offer? ) saying they would put these poor souls up( not sure if any of them have yet ) and seeing Scotland has put up a website( link below )  specifically for helping refugees I thought I would conduct a poll to see what Plus-netters would do. Poll runs for a week.
http://www.scotlandwelcomesrefugees.scot/
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Refugee Crisis ( POLL )

;Hmm..... "helping" ? ?  refugees ......
Sounds really nice and noble..... just like those lovely people in Austria ( I think it was ) ... last weekend.... they came out in there hundreds to help refugees, by offering to drive them to the border with Germany , or wherever... ...
So kind.. and unselfish.....

However... the cynic in me had it sussed......

C`mon people.... let`s help these poor refugees across our country into some other country... so that THEY have to look after them and provide for them... and we won`t have any increase in our taxes, or shortage of low cost housing,  etc etc etc.. because those poor people will be someone else`s problem... not ours... 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

That will be a NO then
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've a 2 bedroom self contained granny apartment above my workshop, it heated and furnished.
In the past we've offered it to a variety of unemployed and homeless people. They end up staying for a week to 10 days then leave.
I'd offer it to refugees - BUT - there is no mobile reception, no terrestrial TV reception, the nearest bus route (stop) is > a three mile walk across open fields. There are no sidewalks, no street-lighting.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yeah why not? I'm up for it... if scotland is happy to take them and offer them their spare rooms etc then sure - let them in and let them north!
Down here in the south you have entire families squeezed into tiny one bedroom places.. it's gone bezerk down here and we cannot manage with it anymore. The property market isn't helping... everything is now buy to let mad, Yet despite all the rental properties, estate agents are becoming choosier and choosier about who they will let properties to.
So if the scottish ministers want to do their thing and be all humanitarian, they'll understand if england transports them in bulk north of the wall right?  Smiley
On a very serious note... Yes I am up for helping these people.. but if they're so desperate for safety, why are they only heading for (apparently) rich countries like the UK and Germany? - Why not other safe havens like Serbia, Bosnia, Turkey?
The europeans have been marching in protest proclaiming that letting in muslims will be the end of the EU. I don't really know what to think if i'm honest but there is a lot of unrest over this and tensions are rising among nations and entire countries. The poles for instance have been happy to come here for years.. but the moment the refugees turn up in their country looking for a better life and they all start protesting - hypocritical isn't it.. and yet i suspect that is what scotland is thinking.. "We want them to be allowed in as long as the english look after them"
@journeys.. sounds perfect.. when can i move in and is a peppercorn rent ok with you?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Just to add...
I've nothing against helping people abroad.. I honestly think we should do all we can to help people but our own homeland is struggling and unless we start expanding the empire again so that we have the resources to help others with, we are crippling ourselves and our futures to solve issues abroad that will never be solved - dictators etc.
Fixes: 47

We tell the world how well this country is doing and then appear surprised when people in a war torn country want to come here to find a better life for themselves and their children.
Also these people are told by the traffickers that they will be welcomed in Europe and will easily prosper.
The refugees quickly find this is not entirely the case.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: 7up
Yeah why not? I'm up for it... if scotland is happy to take them and offer them their spare rooms etc then sure - let them in and let them north!

the scottish government may be saying that, but i'm not entirely sure that the majority of us, the populous, have the same opinion.
let them all camp at calais where the rest of them are. for some reason they don't think France is the place they want to be.
strange how France don't do anything about ejecting them from their country even though they are there illegally.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
The refugees quickly find this is not entirely the case.

Do they? If they find its not the promised land then why do they stay? Why do they not move on to another european country instead?
From my POV as much as I dislike the draconian anti-poor-people thing that goes on in this country, I think we're known around the world for being extremely hard to invade and this at least promotes the idea of safety from war. Crikey we've become so elitist now that we drop bombs from drones by remote. Europe however.. well.. there are borders.. and those can change depending on who has the biggest guns and craziest attitude in political circles - eg Hitler.
Quote from: chenks76
strange how France don't do anything about ejecting them from their country even though they are there illegally.

Or try to even stop them entering france... I've never understood that. They don't want them.. but they don't stop them entering... Strange bunch... and to think... we did a lot for them in the war and returned them their freedom that the nazis once took.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I believe the UNHCR convention states that refugees are supposed to apply for assylum in the first safe country they arrive in, which in most cases would be Turkey if leaving Syria. If they then want to move on to a country of their choice they are economic migrants..
The rules I would then apply is would they be valuable members of the community bringing useful skills just like any other economic migrants.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and of course other than Germany which has hundreds of thousands of empty houses /flats and tonnes of holding space for refugee camps nobody else wants to take any of them, 90% of the scroats are not refugees they are constantly demanding to travel to Germany, a true refugee will land and beg for help from the first friendly person they see, some chancer who claims if they had known what it would be like they wouldn't of left clearly isn't a refugee fleeing for their life but probably some jihadist intent on getting to his pals so they can claim the land for allah .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
We've a 2 bedroom self contained granny apartment above my workshop, it heated and furnished.
In the past we've offered it to a variety of unemployed and homeless people. They end up staying for a week to 10 days then leave.
I'd offer it to refugees - BUT - there is no mobile reception, no terrestrial TV reception, the nearest bus route (stop) is > a three mile walk across open fields. There are no sidewalks, no street-lighting.

That sounds like bliss to me, don't ever let me stay otherwise you would never get rid of me !
Smiley
Community Veteran

Refugee crisis? What refugee crisis.
Hungary has the right idea in stopping the illegal entry of economic migrants.
If Europe had done this from the beginning maybe there would be more money to help those really in need.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I believe the UNHCR convention states that refugees are supposed to apply for assylum in the first safe country they arrive in, which in most cases would be Turkey if leaving Syria. If they then want to move on to a country of their choice they are economic migrants..
I agree, i think it will be interesting ( for me at least ) to see how long it takes the ones coming here to land themselves a job.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i would not invite anyone into my home, but id be happy to send a small donation towards building housing for them, its not their fault they are refugee`s and im sure they dont want to be in this postion. Something needs to be done to help them yes, but inviting random people into my home is a no no.
If everyone in the uk sent a small donation then maybe money could go towards some type of housing.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970