cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing Car emissions

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Reducing Car emissions

Over the years there have been many claims of various devices or additives that have claimed to reduce car emissions but none have stood the test of time.

What is your opinion of this device which makes such a claim ?

www.cgon.co.uk

If the claims made are incorrect would it not leave itself open to action by traiding standards or Advertising authority ?

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Reducing Car emissions

I think Clarkson had the right idea - we should all tow greenhouses behind us which the exhaust is then pumped into.

All these other voodoo cures seem to go up in a puff of smoke.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles

If it's so good why haven't they been able to sell the idea to the motor manufacturers? They must be glad to receive any ideas that work. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Seems to have been evaluated and not thought particularly useful.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_enhancement
Community Veteran

@nozzer

That's a good question in your first post and a good link in your second post.

I fail to see how there has either been no attempt or an attempt made to establish how accurate these claims are ?

If any system worked surely it must be in the interests of everybody to ensure such systems were used and it cannot be all that difficult to set up the necessary conditions that all interested parties were present at to see the results ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That Hydrogen thing seems like snake oil, after all, there's lots of Hydrogen in Hydrocarbon fuels already, and adding a device that sucks electricity from the alternator increasing load on the engine is just wasting fuel...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

But does it ?

The alternator must be able to put out sufficient current to run the car and charge the battery, if you increase the load the alternator will generate enough current up to it's maximum level, it will not go faster to do that as it's speed is controlled by the revs of the engine.

Modern cars have a variety of electrical items running all the time such as cars with lights on all day but I cannot see how more energy is used unless you claim the engine needs to produce more energy to turn the alternator due to the increased load ?

No doubt someone can clarify this point

Pete11
Pro

IF all work on engine was done to let that gadget work to capacity in order to make those claims in the first place, surely the insurance company must be told of the modification. Not notifying them would invalidate the insurance cover wouldn't it?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

@Pete11

Correct.

Any change to your car must be notified to your insurance company.

I suspect people make changes and fail to inform their insurance company which makes any claims invalid.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

@twocvbloke

But does it ?

The alternator must be able to put out sufficient current to run the car and charge the battery, if you increase the load the alternator will generate enough current up to it's maximum level, it will not go faster to do that as it's speed is controlled by the revs of the engine.

Modern cars have a variety of electrical items running all the time such as cars with lights on all day but I cannot see how more energy is used unless you claim the engine needs to produce more energy to turn the alternator due to the increased load ?

No doubt someone can clarify this point

Devices like that thing are what are referred to as HHO generators, where you use electrolysis to break up water molecules into their constituent elements, namely Hydrogen and Oxygen, to do this you need to apply current to the water (in their case, "electrolyte" as they call it) to break up the atoms, therefore taking power from the car's electrical system ontop of the electronic gubbins most modern cars have these days, so you're taking energy away from the vehicle to create a fuel that is putting less than half that energy back...

So, simply put, what they're doing is selling a device that doesn't work as claimed, the only technology to reliably create hydrogen efficiently is still in development, and ultimately, hydrogen will be used for fuel cells which generate electricity, not run an internal combustion engine... Smiley