cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red phone box graveyard

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Red phone box graveyard

There's an article on the BBC Website about the old Red Boxes and how they are disappearing. Blame is laid on mobile phones. I stopped using these boxes when I discovered how expensive it was to phone from them.  I reckon BT are raising the prices to trigger the final demise of the boxes.
Edit: 60p minimum to 01 02 03 numbers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
11 REPLIES
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Red phone box graveyard

I think the red telephone box will soon be a thing of the past.
Many of the remaining boxes do not accept cash. and most are falling into disrepair.
In the 1960s I often used the public phones in London and my memories of them are not good. They were often out of service, the handsets were dirty and even worse there was often evidence that the boxes had been used as toilets.
Thank goodness for the cheap PAYG mobile phone.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Like cyril i remember these old filth boxes with some level of contempt. Disgusting toilets most of them and you had to be careful what you touched. Oddly when BT replaced them with the newer cleaner glass phone boxes (also rare themselves now) this seemed to take care of the problem - not really sure why or how but it did. I suppose the open edges at the bottom that allowed liquids to run out were a good start..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Lets be honest here, ever since Clark Kent stopped using them they went downhill fast.
Community Veteran

That's so true.
Just imagine it now.
Hang on a minute while I try and find a phone box to change.
And
Superman what's that all over your boots and what's that stink.
itsme
Grafter

They are still used in some villages in Suffolk, no phone but used for local information and/or community libraries.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

BT are steadily selling them off @  £1 each to be used for Community purposes.  Our village has bought the one next to where George Orwell lived around 1940 time.  Current plan is for it to house a defibrillator and some info on the village and its church (which dates back to the 11th Century).
Locals believe that we inherited our broadband connection from a similar era.  Grin Grin
Maurice
zpeterk
Grafter

There was one in Ogwell setup as a book library for everyone to use until someone lit it!
Community Veteran

A company near where I live buys and sells red phone boxes.
Red Phone Boxes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: MauriceC
BT are steadily selling them off @  £1 each to be used for Community purposes.   Our village has bought the one next to where George Orwell lived around 1940 time.   Current plan is for it to house a defibrillator and some info on the village and its church (which dates back to the 11th Century).
Locals believe that we inherited our broadband connection from a similar era.   Grin Grin
Maurice

Does that include the land that they are sited on?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: MauriceC
BT are steadily selling them off @  £1 each to be used for Community purposes.   Our village has bought the one next to where George Orwell lived around 1940 time.   Current plan is for it to house a defibrillator and some info on the village and its church (which dates back to the 11th Century).
Locals believe that we inherited our broadband connection from a similar era.   Grin Grin
Maurice

In the link posted in #8 they sell for over £2500 a piece.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Decommissioned and removed ones that are sat in yards are selling for silly £2.5k+ money when refurbished, but BT are selling the ones presently left in-situ for £1 for community projects, all maintenance, council tax, electricity bills and whatnot is up to the new owner(s), aswell as figuring out a new use for them seeing as the payphone era is dead.... Smiley
It's sad really, but, as has been said, the cheap PAYG mobile has killed the payphone...