cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Red light

I've just received an "Intention to prosecute" from Herts Police, apparently, I jumped a red light, there is I'm told photographic evidence. I genuinely don't have any recollection of the incident.
Anybody know what the likely outcome will be. My paper license shows only an expired (two years ago) speeding 3 points, so my license is technically clean.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Red light

You wouldn't be the first if the "photographic evidence" turned out not to be of your car!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

@ jelv, yes I appreciate that, but I'd find this difficult as I was driving a company double decker bus at the time.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

well - presumably the company wil be able to verify it then -
are you a member of AA, RAC etc - or have legal cover on your car insurance. Get them to get a solicitor on the case.
Community Veteran

I know someone who asked for a copy of the photographic evidence and the case was immediately dropped.  Worth a shot.
Community Veteran

Have they told you the place, date and time the alleged incident took place? If so is it plausible that it was you?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I was driving a company double decker bus at the time.

Er, that's not clear.
Are you saying that at the time of the alleged infringement you were:
a) Driving a double-decker bus which is in all probability in their photo
b) Driving a double-decker bus elsewhere and they allege it's your car in the photo
Community Veteran

Thanks all, I wonder if admitting to my insurance company would be such a good idea, telling them I being done for running a red light uhmm, but I do have AA cover, not sure if I have legal cover, it costs me enough so its a possibility. The summons was originally sent to my employer (the owner of the bus of course) who advised me to expect it, they don't seem to be bothered about it at all.
Requesting the photo evidence, now thats an idea.

Community Veteran

@ HP sauce, No, they site the vehicle registration number etc. my company had little choice but to verify that records showed it was me driving it at the time, but I see where you're coming from.

Community Veteran

You may also have legal cover on your household insurance that you can use.
Community Veteran

Yes, your preceding post clarified but earlier posts were less precise.
Ask for the evidence is the only option I guess, there may have been obstructions etc., who knows?.
Community Veteran

Yes thank you HP, its something to think about.
May I throw another view into the ring; I spoke to my manager just before the school half term (which is why I'm around so much for the last few days, as I drive school services) when he advised me to expect the summons, he asked me as a friendly question if, I was going to contest it. But he went on to say, that as a transport company, it is by no means unusual for this kind of thing to pass by the company first, as owners of the vehicles. He has experienced some other drivers contesting their case's, and winning, saving the £60 and 3 points (for speeding offenses) and promptly getting saddled with legal costs and/or court costs totaling several hundreds of £ It would seem a bit of a swings and roundabout experience.
If I may, with thanks and respect to all, gently steer this back to the OP, I asked in essence, what I could expect, what I didn't say was; if I pleaded "guilty" by post.

Community Veteran

Does this help?
http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/RunningaARedLight.html
Community Veteran

That jelv, is precisely what I was looking for thank you, I poked around but didn't come up with anything, probably wrong keywords.
Other than that it takes a load off my mind, as I was fretting that a loss of license could follow, which would be a serious blow, with not only my job, but being able to get my disabled wife around our more than slightly isolated living.
Thanks again.

N/A

You could plead not guilty, opt for trial at the magistrates court and represent yourself. You will then need the photographic evidence and  prepare your statement. Shouldn't take too long as there would in all likelihood be only two witnesses - yourself and the police/CPS.
You never know - magistrates are often drivers too and aware that mistakes can be made.