cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Arrows

Community Veteran

Red Arrows

Just had a serious fright while having my tea. The red arrows just flew over my house very fast and very very low. By the time I ran outside to see what the incrediable noise was, the first group in formation had already gone by. I did see the second group though and knew immediately what they were.
Turns out they were coming from a display in Derry. I live on the east coast of Ireland and their route back to England obviously took them over my house.
18 REPLIES
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Red Arrows

Do they ever display in the Republic of Ireland ? .
I know that citizens of RoI can join the UK military so wondered if they ever use the Reds to recruit ?
Community Veteran

Not sure about that. I just know myself and my neighbours are still recovering from the shock. Most of them are still in their gardens smoking cigarettes! LoL.
I would be curious to know how fast they were going. Obviously planes canot fly supersonic over land but judgeing by how they appeared and disapperaed within a second or so they must have been close to it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You may have missed them, Sean, but I saw the full display at Bournemouth sea front 2007..... see my website ( http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk ) for a (almost) complete show....
Some I missed were into the full sun from where I was standing....
To whet your appetite, see pics below....
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: Sean

I would be curious to know how fast they were going. Obviously planes canot fly supersonic over land but judgeing by how they appeared and disapperaed within a second or so they must have been close to it.

Only about 250kts - ( supersonic is about 600kt from memory.)  But because they are low - it just seems faster , And the Hawk is not supersonic anyway.
Community Veteran

I did see the second group after running outside on hearing the first group. I am thinking now that maybe they fly in two groups for this reason. What a cool job! I am jealous!
Quote from: Mal08

Only about 250kts - ( supersonic is about 600kt from memory.)  But because they are low - it just seems faster , And the Hawk is not supersonic anyway.

I used to work right beside Belfast City airport. I always watched the planes taking of and landing which were doing approx 150knotts for a 737 for example. Based on this the red arrows at least appeared to be going way faster than 250 knotts but I could be wrong.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what is impressive is to see a civilian airliner at 100 ft flat out,  seen it several times at US in UK airshows
Community Veteran

Yeah. I imagine it would be very noisy also. I have never been to an airshow. I am really anoyed that I did not know about the display in Derry today. It is only a couple of hours drive and I was not doing anything else important  Sad
Mal08
Rising Star

I did see the second group after running outside on hearing the first group. I am thinking now that maybe they fly in two groups for this reason. What a cool job! I am jealous!

IIRC - they fly in two groups for lookout purposes, the smaller second group effectively has a second pilot watching out for conflicting traffic.
The guys in formation are too busy looking at the aircraft they are formating on.
There have been instances of the formation flying where the lead pilot flew into the ground, and the pilot formating on him just followed him into the ground.
Mal08
Rising Star

Keep an eye on the Reds webpages - too late for this year - for Ireland - but they are at RAF Leuchars next weekend, and will probably fly right over my place on the route in or out.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/september08.cfm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Sean.... the Red Arrows do a regular round of air displays all over the UK. every year.  They have a website, and you can check up on where and when they are due to fly.... Obviously, they have the caveat that all displays are dependent on weather at the site, and time they are due to appear.
Might be worth looking to see when they are next over the water your way, and put it on your Firefox diary for next year....
Wink
Posted at same time ! ! !
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mal08

IIRC - they fly in two groups for lookout purposes, the smaller second group effectively has a second pilot watching out for conflicting traffic.
The guys in formation are too busy looking at the aircraft they are formating on.
There have been instances of the formation flying where the lead pilot flew into the ground, and the pilot formating on him just followed him into the ground.

I did notice this. The second group had 4 planes in formation with a single plane following closely behind
Community Veteran

Definitely will be looking out for next year. Not just the Red Arrows I would be interested it. I like all sorts of planes.
Mal08
Rising Star

I did notice this. The second group had 4 planes in formation with a single plane following closely behind

That would be the manager in the singleton - a fully qualified RAF pilot, but not part of the display team - and one who does the commentary. He looks after the admin, leaving the boss to largely concentrate on the flying management. His aircraft is the spare. Did you notice two people in the aircraft - the aircraft engineer & some of the techicians fly in the back seat, with the remaider travelling in a Hercules 
Community Veteran

Didn't see how many people were in the planes. They were directly overhead and going past very quick. The only thing I noticed was the colour and the formation which is how I knew that they were the Red Arrows.