cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Arrows pilot seriously injured at RAF Scampton

Fixes: 125

Full details have not yet emerged, but the BBC understands the incident involved an ejection seat and happened on the ground, not in the air.

Eyewitnesses close to RAF Scampton reported seeing one of the Hawk aircraft with a smashed canopy, according to BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale.

Sad, especially so soon after the death of Flt Lt Egging in August.
Let's hope he has a speedy recovery.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Red Arrows pilot seriously injured at RAF Scampton

its strange, as the cockpit cover comes off before the seat flies, or was he not sitting in the seat?
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pilot is dead unfortunately.
He was ejected, the ejection seat rail (vertical mechanism) is visible on the Hawk.
The parachute built into the seat failed to open, which caused the fatality
The ejector seat has several large locking pins which have to be removed before it will work, and are never pulled until the pilot is sat down and harnessed in.
Removed by ground crew.
The reverse after a landing.
The perspex canopy has MDC (Miniature Detonating Cord) embedded onto the inside of the perspex, and the sequence is ...
In general, Pilot pulls up, or down, the respective ejector seat firing handle (there are two) , the personal harness pulls tight, the straps around the pilots ankles pull tight to get knees away from stick and instrument panel, the MDC blows the perspex,  then the seat ejects. Less time than it takes to blink.
The Hawk only has the one lower handle I understand.
These days they are capable of being safely used at ground level.
A Zero-Zero seat, (Zero height, Zero speed) rocket powered, takes it and pilot to a safe height, when parachute should open.
I would suspect there may have been an electrical, mechanical or other malfunction.
It appears the Red Arrow was just about to leave the apron to take off with others.
Unlikely any ground personnel nearby, I was told that if an ejector seat went off whilst nearby, the vacuum created, it would suck your lungs out !!
(I used to work with military aircraft, Jaguar and Tornado)
You had to be trained and authorised to approach aircraft.
I loaded and unloaded the HUD camera, (amongst others) you had to stand on the ejector seat to get into the cockpit  !!
A lot of high speed photography showing MDC blowing canopy was done.
Many, many years ago.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
its strange, as the cockpit cover comes off before the seat flies

Text deleted.
As it was covered much better by PlusCom UK.
I replied to pierre's post before reading yours...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.