cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Arrows Banned from 2012 Olympics

Community Veteran

Red Arrows Banned from 2012 Olympics

This could be doing the rounds on your inboxes, if not then ...

PLEASE SIGN AND PASS ON - BANNING OF RED ARROWS AT THE 2012 LONDON  GAMES...PLEASE SIGN

Come on guys - support the Red Arrows!
The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012
London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".
Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be
"offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games.
The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the
Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too
militaristically British".
Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a
truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen
before.
Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult -
the Arrows are a symbol of Britain .
The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade,
as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.
The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was
announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly
spectacular.
It is to be hoped that common sense prevails, so if you disagree with this
decision, please sign the petition on the link.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Please forward this on to everyone you can.

Guess we should get Concorde to fly along with them too ... Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Red Arrows Banned from 2012 Olympics

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/15/red_arrows_rumpus/ from mid October 07.
I'm certain I heard more recently that the ban was a figment of the over-active tabloid press' imagination.
A quick shufty on the RAF's own site reveals the following article:
Don’t believe everything you read in the newspapers!
There has been a lot of speculation recently both in the media and online regarding whether we have been banned from displaying at the 2012 Olympics, and we are getting an increasingly large amount of enquiries from people wondering whether or not to sign online petitions. We are very happy to tell you that the story is complete rubbish! It’s far too early for either us or the organising committee of London 2012 to discuss any participation by the Red Arrows in the celebrations. We plan our display season one year in advance and so we’re currently busy trying to organise our 2008 display season. We would like to thank everyone for their support – but hope that the truth behind this story will put everyone’s concerns to rest
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=66845B01-1143-EC82-2E376B2F89D95041
Obviously not conclusive, I'll have to keep looking.
OK, here goes: http://www.london2012.com/news/archive/2007-10/no-truth-in-red-arrows-rumour.php
No truth in Red Arrows rumour
2 October 2007
A Red Arrows flypastLondon 2012 has responded to reports that the Red Arrows have been banned from the Opening Ceremony of the Games, describing the rumours as 'utter nonsense'.
The London 2012 Organising Committee will decide what to include in all celebrations and they will be a showcase of the best the UK has to offer. But with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like.
The Red Arrows have in fact been used before in connection to London and the Games. They did a spectacular fly over of Trafalgar Square in London to celebrate winning the bid in July 2005, and also flew over the Mall when the Athens Torch Relay was in London in 2004.
The DCMS and the Red Arrows themselves also released statements refuting the claims about the ban.

A quote from Hoax Slayer reminds us thus:
The Sun is hardly a publication that garners respect for its journalistic integrity. It has often been criticized for publishing trashy, sensationalist stories that are untrue or based on entirely unsubstantiated hearsay and rumour. Thus, it seems clear that this foolish rumour is entirely baseless and, therefore, forwarding the protest email is utterly pointless.
Read the rest of their article here

One for tommorrows [micro]chips?
geewizz
Grafter

I'm sure we could arrive at a compromise that will suit everyone. Perhaps if the pilots are dressed in unisex, white (non bleached) robes they could enter the stadium on bicycles and then climb ladders to let off canisters of coloured smoke. Obviously there are a few health and safety issues to be ironed out there but it's a starting point to open discussions and give the countless commitees something to get worked up about and keep them from interfering with the actual sporting event.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reality check ... I normally do 'vet' these kind of things myself ... [slaps self on wrists] Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Try looking at the actual petition where it says:
The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government
This allegation is not true. The Government has not banned the Red Arrows from the London 2012 Olympic Games. The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the Opening Ceremony and other celebrations - but with almost five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what these will look like.
And of course the Red Arrows played a memorable role in the celebrations for 2012, when they flew over Trafalgar Square to mark London winning the Games.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
geewizz
Grafter

Despite the government's denials that there's anything in this rumour, I still believe we should demonstrate indignation and throw our arms in the air while shouting "Typical!"
Community Veteran

OK, I have just finished adding the last turn to the noose!
Funny though, this is the petition with most signatures at the moment:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers
This one is 1st and has +350000 signatures, the 2nd thing we have for HM Gov Plc has +35000 signatures and is:
"request that the football league remove the 15-point deduction from Leeds United AFC"
Somehow this trumps issues like student loans and VAT on things that are essential. Sad
SW.

--
3Mb FTTC
geewizz
Grafter

This is my favourite :
ensure there is a Lasting Legacy for Shooting Sports in the UK by moving the venue away from the Woolwich Barracks.

Grin
N/A

[me=James_H]signs the petition anyway, in case the denial of the ban is just a ruse...[/me]
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Message removed as I realised that I had just repeated what was in an earlier message.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You don`t have to wait until 2012 to see the Red Arrows..... just visit my website  Roll eyes (see link below)  and click on the navigation link at the top of the page saying Red Arrows..  ! ! !  Roll eyes  You will see 90% of the Bournemouth 2007 display there.
(thanks for looking ! !)  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There's ONE must see plane going to be at this years air shows: XH558
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Will the Battle of Britain flight be taking part as well? Wink
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

During my time on board H.M.S.Centaur, an aircraft carrier, (I think we were in the Med) we had one of these do a "simulated deck landing" on us..... There is no way it could have landed, we were far too small, and even if it did have the arrester gear, I expect that the force of landing would have catapulted us across the sea like a skimming stone !  Cheesy  The "landing" took place on an imaginary deck 100feet above the actual flight deck, and at that height, the plane seemed enormous compared to the Sea Vixen, and Gannet aircraft we had on board.  Roll eyes
Simon_M
Grafter

I used to work on the farm at the eastern end of RAF Scampton's runway. This was when there were still tractors without cabs. It was a lovely sunny spring day & I was happily rolling wheat, heading round the landing lights towards the airfield.
Suddenly, the sun went. Odd, as there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I looked up & all I could see from horizon to horizon was the underside of a Vulcan. It was low enough that I could read every stenciled instruction to ground crew. I still have that picture burnt into my memory.
It was a crew on conversion training. The pilot had come in on a trailing throttle & they were very quiet from the front with the engines throttled back. He had got a bit low & only reacted about 150 yards from the airfield perimeter fence - just about where I was. So he (or maybe the instructor) then gave it full throttle, stood it on it's tail & guess who was right in the force of the blast! Half burnt kerosene tastes pretty horrible too.
Later the same year another pilot did much the same thing, only this time he took the top of one of the last landing lights with a wheel. The top of those last few lights is just about the same height as a tractor driver's head. I had had a lucky escape that spring.