Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling write off, really?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Recycling write off, really?

Well for the motorbike yes, but for my daughters car?

She came home this afternoon to find a bunch of fireman, a burnt out motorbike, and her car apparantly scorched at the back. No idea how it happend as yet but when she reported it over the phone to her insurance company with just a description on no photograph she was told the car would have to be "written off". Really? Oh yes they said, can't take any chances and (as always) the cost of a respray is worth more that the car.

Talk about recycling in more ways than one.

So guess who will be car shopping this busy bank holiday weekend. 

Can't wait. Sad

Bike.jpgbike plus car.jpgJust car.jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7 REPLIES 7
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Recycling write off, really?

She can dispute the insurance co's claim of a respray being "More than the car is worth", if there's no structural damage to the metalwork, then get a few respray quotes and stick 'em under the nose of the insurance people, after all, they'll just sell the car at auction for profit anyway, so may aswell "cheat" them out of making money... Smiley

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

If she likes the car, don't let the insurance have it, if she is claiming off a 3rd party, make them pay for the repair. If having to go through her own, get some quotes for repairs and buy it back from the insurance company and have it repaired. Don't let them take it though, or it will be nigh on impossible to get it back without a "marker"on it.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't know about the car but that looks just like my bike.

When my shed caught fire. With the bike inside.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Was that definitely the case, or could the bike have caught fire with the shed around it?  Roll_eyes

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Problem with any claim is that it affects your no claims and future premiums - so sometimes it is cheaper to pay for respray yourself and forget insurance except for big claims...especially if person is under 25.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@RobPN wrote:

or could the bike have caught fire with the shed around it

Don't tell anyone but we later found out that my kid brother had been playing with candles and left one burning.

Wooden bench - pots of paint - oops

The chickens in the joined on shed were ok and the firemen hosed down and dragged out a calor gas bottle so it could have been worse.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman, only thing I will say about insurance companies is never assume they are working in YOUR interest. I learnt that many years ago.

I wouldn't do anyting until a loss adjuster has looked at it and you have things in writing. Otherwise you could end up spending money that you might not get back. By all means lodge a claim against the 3rd party. The other company might not agree to a write off and send a loss adjuster around. They might even make a crummy monetary gesture. If you have legal cover be prepared.to use it. From the photos it doesn't look too bad but then, close up it might be worse.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?