cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling and litter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Recycling and litter

Has anyone else noticed the correlation between recycling and increased litter on the streets?
In our locality, especially on a windy day, recycling seems to lead to a vast increase in litter on the streets.
I am emphatically in favour with the principal of recycling but I have increasing reservations due to the system/method of roadside collestions.
Any comments/hints/suggestions?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Recycling and litter

Most of the litter on the streets, is because motorists/passengers chuck the stuff out of the window, instead of taking it home.... 
I wonder how many people think what a good (and dangerous) job the "litter pickers" do, especially along the main (high speed) routes, trying to keep our countryside looking like  er.... "countryside".....
Next time you decide to open a packet of crisps, or eat macdonalds/ chips/ chinese takeaway...... take the rubbish home..... put it in your OWN bin..... not my countryside......
thank you  Wink
Lurker
Grafter

I would ask what sort of barmy method do they have for recycling that ends up with litter on the streets?
We have a bin for ours, which is only different to the other bins by virtue of its colour.
I have heard of council's who seem to use bags and boxes, but this does seem a little odd to me.
nadger
Rising Star

@shutter - quite agree which is why the inside of my car looks like a tip - must tidy it out when weather gets nicer  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I moan at the missus for what rubbish she leaves behind when she exits the pasenger seat, but must admit, my footwell is just as bad..... ( but it all ends up in OUR bin, ) 
and yeah!  roll on some decent weather, to get the hoover out again!... Cheesy
Fixes: 47

We have a blue bin for recycling cardboard and paper but a neighbouring town offers open plastic boxes for things like tins and bottles.
Currently on our road there are empty de-icer cans in the gutter Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

We have a bin for compost, a bin for recycling glass / cardboard / plastic / tins and one for everything else.
Rumour has it we will be getting one for food scraps soon too...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Allegedly there are green bins in Sheffield for garden waste but I haven't received one yet.
Is there a facility for the recycling of PS3 controllers that have been jumped on Embarrassed Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lurker
Grafter

Grey for rubbish, green for recyclables (not glass), and brown for compostable garden waste.
Glass admittedly is not ideal, but its not so bad taking a trip to the bottle bank.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we get a colection one week for rubbish, the next there are two collection vehicles, the first for compostable material http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/environment/recycling/recycling2/LoveFoodHateWaste.htm, the second for nearly every other bit of recycled material that goes to an automatic sorting centre about 25 mile away, and takes this http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/environment/recycling/recycling2/
The County council told us a lot of lies about a centre on Rivenhall Airfield.  When it first came up there was a planning application, but the Leader of the County said (quote)  we have to do that it is a central goverment thing, but we definitely will not build anything there (/unquote)  now a few years later Oh Yes it is only a Digester system, that will make electricity, and just a few thousand vehicle movements to get it there.
The site is currently partly a gravel quarry that has a direct route to the Single Carriageway A120 and the centre of the site probably about 1 mile from habitation