cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling VHS Tapes

Thunderclap
Grafter

Recycling VHS Tapes

Any experience or experiences with recycling VHS video tapes? Like many people, I have dozens of redundant tapes in boxes. Sending them to landfill is dumb but, after having removed the plastic or cardboard cases, that's my only local solution. My council does plastic recycling but, tapes are not in their equation? A VHS tape contains various grades of plastic, screws, springs and tape impregnated with ferrous metals. Surely that muck is someone's bra$$? There's over a billion tapes in the UK alone.
Cool
18 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: Recycling VHS Tapes

I'd never thought about that .. fortunately, others have:
http://myzerowaste.com/2013/07/how-to-recycle-vhs-tapes-and-audio-cassettes/
Fixes: 47

I have a few to get rid of (162 to be precise).
I asked Veolia who deal with the waste in Sheffield and they told me to take it to my local Household Waste Recycling Centre.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Package them and send them to "You've been framed". Not only do you get rid of the tapes, you might get £250.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Some of mine are old tapes of You've Been Framed  Tongue Wink
Nostalgia trip for the makers.
RichAllen
Grafter

Send them to charity shops, most of the charity shops in Sheffield haven't evolved to taking DVDs yet and still sell VHS tapes (even though everybody and his dog owns at least one DVD player nowadays)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
I'd never thought about that .. fortunately, others have:

Thanks for that link. There only seems to be one recycler in the UK who handles them. Bristol is a very green place, but far away.
Quote from: Strat
I have a few to get rid of (162 to be precise).

And that's a lot just in weight terms too. Something like 50 kilos? 
Quote from: RichAllen
Send them to charity shops, most of the charity shops in Sheffield haven't evolved to taking DVDs yet and still sell VHS tapes (even though everybody and his dog owns at least one DVD player nowadays)

Tried that, but not Oxfam in Shef'. - Maybe there's some guy in the Third World who needs a hundred E180s... actually... he may not have running water but he's already gotten 4G and UTube.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Package them and send them to "You've been framed". Not only do you get rid of the tapes, you might get £250.

I'd just settle for getting my cupboard back - and having a warm glow that I helped saved the planet.
Thinks, as it's cold and, I need to reduce energy bill waste, I wonder if VHS tapes burn like coal?
nanotm
Pro

the tape burns but I'd suggest you only do that in a coal brazier out doors and after removing the plastic housing in a well ventilated area, if you put the tap into a small metal tub and chuck that into a bonfire it gives off a satisfying pop and some brilliant flashes of bright red as the ferric oxide goes into the flames Smiley
seriously though take it to the household recycling centre most of them have handover contracts with the various recyclers so it gets reused in the end, if your community contractor isn't as interested in selling the rubbish on to make a few pence then its there loss cos they have to maintain the landfill and remain responsible for any contamination if causes for 100 years ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 121

We had loads of tapes a few years ago in my parents' garage. We simply took them to the council tip.
I did test a couple in my mum's player but after more than 20 years those that we tried either didn't have a decent picture or just got stuck.
Thankfully I had made DVD copies of important family holiday videos and the like a few years before then.
Edit: Thinking about it I wonder if I should have tried to get refunds on the Maxwell tapes... didn't they offer a life-time guarantee?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

I'm sure they could argue VHS is now officially dead  Wink
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool VHS is a dead as Monty Python and Doctor Who should be!

VHS is still alive and kicking in my next door neighbour's house....but he's 80+.
He bought a new VHS machine a couple of years ago as his old one died.
The only one he could find came with a DVD player built in...which doesn't get used.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool You mean alive and clunking - or is that twerking?
I used the VCR this weekend and realised what a serious pain in the A video tapes are to use. The library function is on the back of an envelope and searching requires winding forwards and backwards - how primative is that? And yes, 0:00 was flashing because setting the clock requires a Teletext signal. DVD players have enjoyed a brief period center stage, but people who buy DVDs are more likely to be connected and therefore, download movies instead. Apart from analogue diehards, by 2020 we will be using Cloud Players as PVRs, which make no sound at all and, will be able to monitor our preferences, just like an LG TV. And gone too is the Ikea videotape storage shelf which today, is finding new uses in the garage.
One thing that struck me was just how much stuff there is inside a video recorder. Circuits, cables, metal, plastic, motors, transformers, and precision calibrated bits that go bzzzz - VCRs are not green by today's standards. But at least you can recycle them as WEEEEEEEEE ( I think that's enough Es ).
Sad  Digital [and a hammer] killed the Videostar .....
nanotm
Pro

vcr could of had a place but for some reason they decided that recording stuff to tape off the airwaves was illegal and they started making vcr machines that injected some weird signal distortion into anything you recorded, if they hadn't done that then people would still be buying and using them far more so than the rather expensive pvr machines available......
still I have an old first gen dvd recorder that doesn't distort things either so I probably could make film disks off the airwaves but why bother with the various cloud player options ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

So far I have Recycled
Total VHS Tapes dismantled into their components: 672
See Do You Recycle?
I have over 60 waiting to be done in the pile waiting to be dismantled into their components, but I have over 800 waiting to be transfered to DVD, then on to HD a 3tb drive.