Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recreational spending

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Recreational spending

Hi All
Just thought I would lighten things up a bit.  So try and avoid comments like "I don't have any disposable income after the last government's taxes" or "I won't have any after the coalition's cuts".
What do you spend disposable income on in terms of leisure activities?  Do you pay hundreds of pounds for a season ticket to sit in a stadium in the cold and the rain watching a few blokes kicking a ball around?  Similar amounts to knock a little ball into 18 holes?  Other sporting events?  Concerts?  Eating out?  Clubbing?  Buying shoes?  Even trainspotting costs money.   So do family history and photography.  Or are you a "Gadget Horder"?
And of course the British are great collectors, I wonder is it in the English national pastime.  What do you scour antique fairs, boot sales, ebay and second hand shops for?
I will start with Photography and Computers VHS's & DVD's I have:
Photography:
4 SLR Film Cameras.
1 Digital Camera SLR
4 or 5 Digital Cameras 3 or 4 are now junk, I now have a new one it is Nikon coolpix 12.0 megapixel
Computers:
3 None named Tower Computers, my main computer is AMD Processor 2 Core with 2gb RAM C: Drive 80gb, D: Drive 160gb.
4 Dells Desktop Computers.
1 Dell Tower.
4 Apple MacIntosh laptops
Mac Plus
4 Power MacIntosh G3
1 Blue Apple MacIntosh G3
Beige Apple MacIntosh G3
6 Compaq Servers.
Server Rack
2 Symantec Firewall / VPN appliance Model 200R.
3 or 4 Commodore 64.
Commodore Business Machines Pet Computer.
Monitors:
2 TFT 15 inch monitors.
CRT Apple MacIntosh monitor 13 inch.
CRT PC monitor 13 inch.
3 monitor controllers.
VHS Tapes
Over 500 Prerecorded
DVD
Over 200 Prerecorded
Shocking to think that I have all that in a 1 bed room flat, mined you it has taken over 20 years to get all that lot.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Recreational spending

what's the nikon coolpix camera like?  my cybershot died recently and i need a replacement.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It is not bad, it does not eat batteries, plus it is easy to use, and you get a good Photo from it, see attached from 23-06-2010.
Community Veteran

I have one of the smaller Nikon Coolpix and I am very pleased with it.  Bought it in the US for about half the price it was here at the time.  Good backup from Nikon as well.
Community Veteran

Never thought about it until Gary mentioned it:- suppose I collect books, have over 20,000, more if I include journals/periodicals add in another 100,000 digital articles, mostly reference.
Just ‘invested’ in a new fish smoker. (SWMBO got tired of poached trout).
IT Kit nothing exciting:-  (Heinz) multi screen desktop, 'shockproof' laptop with additional screen (goes in same bag).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So, Gary....... what do you do in your "spare time", then?....... Cheesy
Denzil
Grafter

I am into archery, so some of my hard-earned goes into bits of kit for that. I recently bought myself a pair of top notch British made limbs (Border HEX-5, if you are interested) which weren't cheap, but which are lovely Cheesy. I shot the end off one of my aluminium/carbon composite arrows the other day, so there is another £10 gone Cry.
I also drive a 1971 Series 2A Land Rover. The parts for that are generally cheap, but it seems to get through a lot of them sometimes!
Just bought myself a second hand Sony Alpha200 DSLR, which is quite nice. Trouble is now I can't help thinking I could do with an extra lens or two, a decent flash...
Community Veteran

Just bought myself a second hand Sony Alpha200 DSLR, which is quite nice. Trouble is now I can't help thinking I could do with an extra lens or two, a decent flash...

You need to get yourself a shopping trolley to carry all that heavy glass and metal about with you....... alternatively .... a motorised golf bag...!... (can put your bow and arrows in it too ! ! !0 Grin
magnetism2772
Grafter

Well collecting gold bullion right now is worthwhile, its an investment
as paper money will soon be worthless,
we  have wall street trying to crash the Euro so that it wont be used
to replace worthless US   dollar paper money as a new global currency
We have the banks buying UK government debt at 0.5 % and then borrowing it out
at around 3-4%
hence the investment banks, as they see it, dont want to much money around in the uk economy
which would raise interest rates , so are calling for economic cuts
while  the tories and liberals rise to the ocassion , raise VAT and reduce welfare
I intend to buy gold then watch it rise and sell  it at a profit
Community Veteran

Good question Gary.  Well I enjoy my holidays with 2 visits a year to Florida and Christmas in Spain.  I belong to a Health and Racquet Club and most certainly enjoy a good meal out in a nice restaurant. Apart from that nothing much else on a regular basis Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
So, Gary....... what do you do in your "spare time", then?....... Cheesy

Come on here.  Grin
Sorry for the late post.
Community Veteran

Better late than never,.... especially when you are so busy with your "other" stuff !  Grin
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I will catch you latore on I am off to my coffin. 
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
I also drive a 1971 Series 2A Land Rover. The parts for that are generally cheap, but it seems to get through a lot of them sometimes!

You'll need to know about these guys then, unless you already have them bookmarked!
http://www.famousfour.co.uk/
One of the directors is a neighbour of mine & they seem to be a very genuine bunch of guys.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Shamefully I don't have any real fun in life...
I've got a 2.8GHz Celeron D with 1GB DDR, 40GB main HDD and an external 500GB hdd. Its got a cooling problem of sorts and the 'quiet' PSU I managed to get from the local freegle has become somewhat noisy along with the cpu fan. 2 17inch acer flat screen monitors. Several other PC's in storage which used to form part of a much larger network (used for running VM's, programming, disk burning etc - anything that required processor power basically) but they're all pretty much abandoned at the moment.
Also got a little Toshiba netbook which I'm rather proud of. Only a small little thing but I can still do most of my coding on it and check emails, write docs etc. Armed with a 3G dongle (when its got credit) and its a pretty cool little setup. The only downer to it is the HDD is a mechanical one not a solid state.
Got a camera given to me recently - Panasonic Lumix. Nice, battery lasts a good while, flash recharges almost instantly but it does miss a few settings in the menu's which I would expect to find on any camera. It also doesn't let you delete files via usb either. I certainly wouldn't call a camera fun though. Useful yes, but not fun.
The only other thing I have to keep me going is the car... which hasn't run since May/June, had its engine out, everything went wrong from there and recently when trying to change the battery so that its still got an active alarm the bloody bonnet cable snapped. One more thing on the list to cost me yet more money. Luckily I have another (identical model) to use for daily usage but its nowhere near as nice and the breather on it is clogged so the cabin stinks of oil when the heater is on. Thanks to the local garage who falsly diagnosed a seized and rounded cambelt tensioner bolt which would need the engine lifting..no other garage would touch the job (didn't use the one who diagnosed it as they cocked up another repair) and so 2 years later ended up having to DIY it. With my luck you can guess how well that went.
My only other bit of 'fun' is the internet... and last night my luck killed the local exchange after an already unbearable day.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!