cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a replacement boiler please.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Recommendations for a replacement boiler please.

I have a shitty Ariston condensing boiler that is again needing replacement parts, as the boiler is now 7 years old I'm giving thoughts to changing it, if anyone has a recommendation I'd be interested to hear it. The budget for the boiler is 1.5K excluding fitting.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Recommendations for a replacement boiler please.

Community Veteran

Thanks for that Nozzer, I'm sure that's the brand the engineer said as well and it'll run LPG which I need.
jockwav
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Worcester Bosch
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A white one... Grin
Community Veteran

Awe, I was hoping for a red one with ladybird spots. But white is an option. I've read the bumph on the Viessmann and it's looking to be a contender, I intend to get the 35kW one as it's in my head that if it's over specified it won't have to work as hard as one on the margin of capacity, and has room for expansion if needed.
pwatson
Rising Star

I thought you had to buy green ones these days?
I'll get my coat...
Community Veteran

Yeah, and shut the door on your way out.  Grin
itsme
Grafter

[quote=http://www.idhee.org.uk/calculator.html]An over-sized boiler is inefficient.
Why?
Boilers should be sized to provide sufficient heat to provide hot water, and warm the dwelling to the required comfort temperatures when the temperature outside is below freezing. (Historically, this has been -1°C although more recently -3°C is being recommended).
This means that for most of the heating season, during the times of day when comfort temperatures are required, the boiler will produce more heat than can be used by the system.
The heat excess to requirements is lost via the flue through convection. The cooler air entering at the base of the boiler cools it so that it fires-up again, even if the system does not need any heat at that time. When the internal thermostat is up to temperature the burner is switched off, but the heat produced is going nowhere except out of the flue. The boiler is doing what is known as short-cycling.
If a boiler is over-sized even when it is freezing outside, the amount of heat wasted is significantly increased throughout all of the heating season.
Community Veteran

Oooh, I didn't know that, thanks for pointing that out, no point in wasting money. I still need to get the calculator and tape measure out to check the size of the radiators in the lounge as I think they are wrong, as it is easily 4 or 5 degree colder in there due to the double height roof!
itsme
Grafter

Which rate Worcester Bosch at 72% to 79% which I believe topped their rating, also plumbers I speak to recommend these boilers. Which rate Viessmann boilers at 67%
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mook
Oooh, I didn't know that, thanks for pointing that out, no point in wasting money. I still need to get the calculator and tape measure out to check the size of the radiators in the lounge as I think they are wrong, as it is easily 4 or 5 degree colder in there due to the double height roof!

Calculation now seem to just concentrate on size and build of house. When I installed my system 28 years ago it was done by working out radiator size per room using BTU then add all the BTUs up to determine boiler size. As my boiler is 28 years old I do keep an eye on which boilers are available and I probably go with a Worcester.
Community Veteran

The Viessmanns have a modulating burner that turns down to very low levels, and if you go for the "Weather Compensation" add-on you don't get the short cycling problem. No room thermostat at all; the unit is calibrated to the house's heat/insulation characteristics.
Once it's set up, just dial the temperature that's comfortable.
David_W
Rising Star

Our boiler is stupid, occasionally it'll make a nasty BRRRRRRRRRRR noise which is worrying but the stupid part is the thermostat.  That bit is stuck in the middle of the flat, in the warmest part of the house, we can be freezing cold in the front/bed rooms but because the middle is a bit warmer, the heating doesn't switch on!  The only way to get the thermostat to switch the heater on, is to set the required temps to something like 26.5 degrees, but that's me just whining about the boiler, it's housing association so "whats the cheapest we can get?" mentality.
Community Veteran

Have a look at Vaillant, ours was made just down the road in Derbyshire. It gives good service.
on boiler efficiency don't forget the size of your central heating pipes can limit the efficiency of the boiler, it might be worth having the pipes flushed if you have an old pipes/radiator system.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.