Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reclaimed Meat

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Reclaimed Meat

Good news for meat eaters?

Veggie burgers and the like are for the chop as the EU decrees that they have to stop using words like burger, sausage and steak - and not before time.

Tofu shaped like a lamb cutlet for heaven's sake, what were they thinking?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
13 REPLIES 13
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Reclaimed Meat

So you want out the EU but you still want their regulations when it suits....

Oh and it almost sounds like one of those BS tabloid stories on EU regulations btw, so have you got a legitimate source?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

Yet another barbed post.

Sheesh. Crazy2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Sheesh. Crazy2

Isn't that some kind of kebab? I'm sure their made from reclaimed meat. Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah, it could be... or it even a veggie kebab. Wink

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Veggie Burgers for the Chop, then ! ! ...

Cheesy

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some time ago I visited a factory where meat was flailed off a carcase by a machine that had lots of soft-ish whips on a roller. As it rotated the bits of guff off the chicken carcase (or whatever it is) were washed off the roller into a catchment area and then sent down the line to a processor that made it into compressed things which could then be sent to factories to make burgers, soup etc..

The bloke who took us round said...

"So you think you have never eaten a chicken's anus? I bet you a million to one that you have!" Shocked

Truly reclaimed.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@DaveyH wrote:

So you want out the EU but you still want their regulations when it suits....

Oh and it almost sounds like one of those BS tabloid stories on EU regulations btw, so have you got a legitimate source?

I'm on the opposite side from @Minivanman Shocked, but don't always believe EU decisions are right, nor do I accept any authority's being do in my personal opinion. I try to understand and accept an institution's rules as a whole, acquiescing to those I am more doubtful about.

@DaveyH Therefore I think your comment a little unfair.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

That`s a good reason for not eating "paste"   as in, Chicken paste.... beef paste.. etc..,for sarnies

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

Quite.

The worst apparently is tinned chicken soup that has "mechanically reclaimed" lumps in it. Put me off the stuff for life!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

But what is meat even in paste form?

In the UK Beef, lamb and other species are allowed to have 25% fat and 25% connective tissue, which leaves the rest to consist of err.... 

(a) meat; (b) mechanically separated meat….; (c) the heart, the tongue, the muscles of the head (other than the masseters [cheeks, which are considered to be meat]), the carpus [lower forelimb], the tarsus [lower hindlimb], or the tail of any mammalian or bird species recognised as fit for human consumption".

Off to the local butcher it is then, at least that way we can see what we are eating. Wink

https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/food-and-drink/composition-of-meat-products

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@nozzer 

Sausages especially the cheaper ones consist in the main of what they term "slurry" which is all that stuff as you say is washed off. One if the many places I have worked as a contractor was Birds Eye (then in Sevenoaks I think) where at that time they were turning out one million beefburgers a week or something like that - and what went into them was literally everything that was tipped into huge 'chopping machine bowls' over which we were installing fume extractors.

But there you go, if they can put any old stuff in burgers, why not vegetables... just don't call them what they are not, and we do not need the EU to tell us that. 

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@nozzer wrote:

Some time ago I visited a factory where meat was flailed off a carcase by a machine that had lots of soft-ish whips on a roller. As it rotated the bits of guff off the chicken carcase (or whatever it is) were washed off the roller into a catchment area and then sent down the line to a processor that made it into compressed things which could then be sent to factories to make burgers, soup etc..

The bloke who took us round said...

"So you think you have never eaten a chicken's anus? I bet you a million to one that you have!" Shocked

Truly reclaimed.

And there I was thinking "Not me" until I got to the word 'soup' ... 

I never buy the cheap sausages specifically to avoid that sort of carp (not fish sausages).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

"Oh and it almost sounds like one of those BS tabloid stories on EU regulations btw, so have you got a legitimate source?"

And oh ye of little faith and cynicism, even in a humourous post.

Is the now tabloid Guardian legitimate enough for you, how about the dreaded Daily Mail? Lot's out there in media land if you can be even half arsed to check them out.

Enjoy the rest of your day  Thumbs_Up

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-ve...