Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reckon it's time for a newun?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Reckon it's time for a newun?

I've berm looking round for what could be damaging my broadband experience, and am a little suspicious of the door bell/chime transformer. This was installed by the previous owners, who moved in to the then new-build in 1971, so it could be from fifteen years upward ( we moved in in 2002) years old. The man was a known bodger, and examining the transformer unit, I found one wire coming loose, and other doubtfuls. It had worked before, so I'd not needed to llok closely.

I'm willing to buy either a transformer compatible with the chimer, or fit a new wireless kit, but there is no rectified voltage detail on the transformer for compatibility Roll eyes

At its age, probably over twenty, and with my predecessor's skill, are my suspicions at all valid? What do you think.

Pic of item

P1000082_800x600.JPG

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Reckon it's time for a newun?

So when the door goes it ruins your broadband experience? don't blame you it would ruin mine too Cheesy

Luzern
Pro

As far as poss, I leave my live-in domestic, and bed warmer to respond!Funny

(Memorandum: hide this post from the beloved wife!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Steve
Pro

Just do away with it completely. If it is someone or even something important they can knock louder and longer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

doorbell-broken-joke-300x201

Community Veteran

Luzern wrote:

At its age, probably over twenty, and with my predecessor's skill, are my suspicions at all valid? What do you think.

Silliness aside, looking at the transformer, it's not discoloured as though it had overheated, and the electrical noise that it may have caused on your broadband might just have been the loose wire arcing slightly (creating AM radio noise), trim the ends of the mains side off, re-strip them and refit them and it'll probably work fine again, wirewound transformers are tough things to kill... Smiley

As for finding out what is needed to replace it, well, most doorbell transformers have multiple taps, so you can choose 8v, 12v or 24v (they're all AC, no rectified voltage here, just stepped-down 50Hz AC), if 8v doesn't work, move up to 12, etc., if the transformer still powers up but you still want to replace it, just test the output voltage with a multimeter set to AC volts (usually marked as "V~") in a 3-digit range and it'll tell you what voltage it's putting out... Smiley

Luzern
Pro

@twocvbloke thanks for that. There is some yellowing on the centre front area, not picked up in the pic. If I decide to keep the ends will be trimmed, but even allowing for prev. owner's bodges, there're  no gaps to feed wires through. No makers nor model is on the transformer or the chime; just a made in China label. Odd! Sorry for the ignorant misuse of rectified.

Community Veteran

Well that is a monster. I suppose you can always disconnect it.

My dad fitted a wireless doorbell to my place years ago and it works fine. Only thing is the receiver takes some weird battery (is not a watch one, it's like a AAA but half the size). All you need to do is to attach the doorbell to the wall of your property.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Nothing wrong with using a battery.

Community Veteran

Yep, but it is a weird one.

Not a common one you usually see. I had to go into a hardware shop and ask.

The assistant did find it but had trouble herself, it's one with about five different codes.

Luckily I had the old card with the code, as I would never been able to tell anyone what battery it was, short of unscrewing the thing off my wall Smiley

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

One of these by any chance?

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Luzern
Pro

I took a trip to the very local Screwfix. (Usually places like that are miles away.) I bought one of these . It'll be a big job to install it, as getting it out of packaging is considered part!Funny

Community Veteran

I know everyone is really excited Tongue

One of these:

DoorbellBatt.jpeg

Community Veteran

Cor, talk about tension waiting to find that out, you should start a TV show about it!! Funny

(sorry, just poking fun at the false-tension competitive shows on TV where they play a sting of music every other word to make things feel more tense than they actually are!!)

Community Veteran

Yes I felt like doing a reality TV Big Brother/I'm a Celebrity esque impression, and saying "The battery is ...."

*waits for a few hours before giving the answer* Grin