14 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Recipes

Ive never ate pigeon, Is it any good?
SRD
Grafter

We like it, it's a stronger flavour than pheasant but not so strong as goose.
Community Veteran

Yummy!
What did you have for the main course?
Steve
Pro

Certainly sounds tasty, Suppose the old truth that springs to mind that we all tell our kids"how do you know you dont like it if you have never tried it?"
Im no expert on it though so is there any specific pigeon thats better than other's? I heard wood pigeon is meant to be good?
SRD
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Yummy!
What did you have for the main course?
Grin We're on diets, aren't we always?  I originally had it as a starter but the recipe fits as a lunch.
SRD
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Certainly sounds tasty, Suppose the old truth that springs to mind that we all tell our kids"how do you know you dont like it if you have never tried it?"
Im no expert on it though so is there any specific pigeon thats better than other's? I heard wood pigeon is meant to be good?
Woody is best because he's largest, around here there are plenty of wood pigeons.  I suspect that using a town pigeon (which I think may be illegal) would result in a less tasty dish, they don't have the varied diet that rural pigeons get.  It has been known for the pigeon to be accompanied by the shredded greens found in its crop.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: SRD
This is what we had for lunch today.

Sorry but you would not get me eating flying rats aka pigeon.
johpal
Grafter

There was an old joke, when I used to live in Amsterdam:
"Keep your city clean - eat a pigeon"  Cool
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That should be "Keep your city clean - eat a pigeon shoot a pigeon"  Wink
Teds31
Grafter

We are over run by wood pigeons all I need is a gun and no more butchers bills . Ted Grin
SRD
Grafter

Tonight I'm cooking Tilapia fillets dressed with a sweet chilli sauce made from soy sauce, sweet chilli dip, spring onions and red pepper slices with a dash of sesame oil, accompanied by pak choi in soy sauce and Thai scented rice.  No piccies, MrsSRD has a migraine and can't take the flash.
SRD
Grafter

At Frome farmer's market on Saturday, we picked up some courgette flowers, I'd not used them in cooking before so, after a little research, I decided to stuff them with a cream cheese mixture, dip them in batter, and deep fry them.  They were heavenly.
Full details Here.
Community Veteran

My lunch today:-
Ingredients:
Tiny amount chilli powder,
2 chopped green olives,
2 tablespoons frozen peas,
2 tablespoons couscous,
small handful of frozen prawns,
small handful of sultanas,
small handful of curled parsley.
Process:-  add peas, chilli, prawns and sultanas to saucepan, just cover with boiling water, and bring back to boil, take off heat, stir in couscous and chopped olive. Allow to stand for 2-3 minutes to allow couscous to absorb liquid, chop parsley and stir in at the last moment.
Its quick.........
Denzil
Grafter

Have you read the book called "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey? There is lots of good food out in the wild of you know what to pick. I'm rather partial to nettles, either cooked gently in a little butter like spinach, or chopped and added to things like pasta sauces. Field or wood sorrel is nice as well - adding a few leaves is a great way to liven up a salad.
My lunch today: wholenut peanut butter and Marmite on granary bread. Yum.