Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recession

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Recession

Are we headed for a recession following the virus outbreak ?

Stock markets across the world have recorded some of their biggest falls in recent times.

If restriction of goods and people take place will we see a shortage of essential goods in the shops.

Too early to say.....but number of those affected with the virus is on the rise in many countries...

Opinions please ...

We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Recession

Just knee jerk market jitters, thousands die each year from the flu as do millions anyway.

Am I bothered and moreover, should I be?

Well no not really.... as long as my house maintains it's value. 😉

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we certainly have a global economic slowdown coming - whether it reaches the level of a recession will depend on how the virus and the world's response to it progresses.

At the moment we have airlines cutting back on flights and recruitment, and if our response to the virus includes isolation, closing down factories, cinemas, theatres, sports events and so on, then production and consequently income will fall, so less will be spent, and so on. In that case, recession may well be the result.

maranello
Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

Opinions please ...

Be careful what you wish for, especially here Wink

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I don't think @gleneagles was wishing for anything.

Just saying.😃

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

The most dangerous thing about the coronavirus may well be the hysteria...

Governments and WHO must have a reasonable picture of its virulence

and mortality rate by now, it is either very virulent and likely to kill most

people who get infected or it is reasonably benign.  Bear in mind that

deaths from the normal winter flu that sweeps the planet pretty much

every year are pretty staggering,  but as far as I am aware that does

not cause stock markets to tumble and involve bans on travel.

Maybe the coronavirus will cut global CO2 emmissions, be interesting

to see what effect all those cancelled cruises and flights have on CO2

and particulates,  maybe it will trigger another ice age.

If it does trigger global cooling and ice age I can just imagine darling

Greta getting people to march around with placards asking people

to drive their ICE car more, take more flights and cruises, burn more

fossil fuels and turn their central heating up as her toes begin to turn blue...

gleneagles
Community Veteran

Agree it's our reaction to it....and that thousands die of the flu each year but as I understand it vaccination is available prior to the flu season and whilst offering no guarantee it works in the majority of cases providing its the right type of flu.

There is no vaccination available as far as I know to this virus and I guess that is what much of the panic is about.

Millions, perhaps billions of pounds will have already been lost due to a reduction in output and clearly some firms will go to the wall, we are likely to have many of the answers over the next few months as things either improve or get worse.

I was simply asking opinions on this topic I have no opinion either way at this time.

maranello
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

I don't think @gleneagles was wishing for anything.

Just saying.😃

No need to be pedantic, I was just adding an often quoted phrase which I thought was relevant. Asking for opinions around here often results in differences of opinions which unfortunately can escalate into personal attacks.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@maranello 

Not be being pedantic, not attacking anyone, and puzzled at how you arrived at that conclusion.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

There has to be an economic slowdown with shortages/higher prices for some goods for a time. But it’s not the end of the world and things will recover.

No doubt sections of the community will blame Boris and his followers for this slowdown. Others will just put the blame for the slowdown on Brexit.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With all the panic buying of dust masks that do nothing for filtering out airborne viral nasties, I'd have thought the economy would be booming right now, I'm sure 3M are having a great time churning out masks and filters right now... 😂

My opinion? Nowt different to the average annual flu season, just people blowing it all out of proportion making it seem worse than it really is...

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

The stock market is a strange being with a plethora of aphorisms, frequently contradicting. A degree of scepticism is needed

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute. William Feather

I'm thinking, whether the sell- off really has Corona as the reason for bottling🤣 out, or that is just hiding the real cause. I know what I supect.

Panic tends not to be productive. I prefer to stay calm.😴

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

History shows the stock market suffers massive drops at times followed by a recession, not sure if there is any pattern to it but clearly rumour has much to answer for, will this virus be the trigger for a recession....I simply do not know.

On a more general note could I ask that some chill out a bit as there is the danger no one wants to ask a question in case it gets highjacked or analysed to death.

Cheers.

🙂

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

Stock markets across the world have recorded some of their biggest falls in recent times.

If restriction of goods and people take place will we see a shortage of essential goods in the shops.

Too early to say.....but number of those affected with the virus is on the rise in many countries...

Opinions please ...

At the rate we're going the coronavirus will end up ultimately turning people into zombies and it'll be the apocalypse we have to worry about rather than what cheap 💩 we can get our hands on from china.

What worries me more than anything is that politicians are in charge of how this is handled - and those blood clots think they can control everything with policy and debate rather than actions and precautions.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote:

What worries me more than anything is that politicians are in charge of how this is handled - and those blood clots think they can control everything with policy and debate rather than actions and precautions.

I agree, they're just playing catch-up.  Unfortunately the virus has probably already broken out into the wild in this country.

We they have probably missed the opportunity to keep the population safe, and I hate to think of how many hospital beds won't be available if the virus takes hold here.