cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent change in Passport renewal process.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Recent change in Passport renewal process.

My wife has just renewed her passport online and in the process of looking for the appropriate page came across this...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter...

The Government has sneakily removed the time credit that you always got when renewing, ie if you had up to nine months remaining on your old passport, the new one was for ten years and nine months. Now it's for a maximum of nine years six months regardless of how much is left on the old one. And they denied it had happened at first. She missed out by two days!

Thanks for the comprehensive notification TM!

Edit: Max 9 years 6 months because most countries won't let you enter if you have less than six months left on your passport, hence the need to renew it at or before 9y 6m.

16 REPLIES
Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

Re: Recent change in Passport renewal process.

They say that this is for when we leave Europe, they will insist on a 6 month period being left, unlike now where you can travel up until day of expiry. It is also apparently to bring us in line with other countries that do not recognise passports (without a lot of hassle) with a longer than 10 year span and therefore prevent delays when entering those countries. Can't tell you which ones they are though?

Mark

Community Veteran

I heard the same. It is to bring us in line with EU countries.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Countries make their own rules; before the EU you could live (as a tourist) in pretty much any western European country for three months without a residence permit, except Portugal where you were only allowed to stay for two months.  The same goes for the unexpired validity of your passport, i.e. some countries require this to be longer than others.  There is no valid reason for this; if your passport is valid until the 25th September 2018 and you leave their country no later than on that date, you should be covered.  If you are a long way away and arrive in your home country the next day, that is up to that country to deal with.  (In the UK the electoral roll will confirm your residency, and what criminal would risk drawing attention to themselves by using an expired passport anyway?)

Many years ago I contacted four South American Embassies/Consulates regarding entry requirements; my favourite answer was from the Paraguayan Embassy, "No, come whenever you like and stay as long as you like!"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Our passports expired in 2015. It was thought for reasons not necessary to go into here that our travelling days were over.

But I only three weeks ago had an invitation to Christmas in New Zealand.

Within 5 years it is regarded as a renewal, not a new application. I did the whole thing online and received the new passport ten days later, which I thought was not bad going.

Can anybody recommend a good reliable source of travel insurance. There  have been recent reports that some travellers have been finding they are not covered for what they thought they were.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

My Dad uses Saga (don't want to cast aspersions) and was worried because he didn't declare a prescription item that he never used to take. He fell ill on the Sapnish islands and ended up in icu for a few days. He worried about the bill, but it seems Saga have accepted the reason he didn't declare and paid up. Rest of the world cover though is usually more expensive than European cover. 

Mark

Jonpe
Champion

Age plays a huge part in the cost of travel insurance as you'd expect.  Whatever you do, don't travel without it, even if you are covered for emergency treatment in, say, another EU country or NZ, you need to consider the cost of repatriation.  If you need to be flown home in a specially adapted aircraft with medical staff on board it doesn't come cheap.

Community Veteran

Indeed, thank you for your response's. One way of travelling to New Zealand is via the US. Just the thought of the cost of falling ill in US airspace is enough to bring on a heart attack. Hundreds of thousands pf pounds would be a conservative guess. It happens I'm not going that way this time but via the eastern route, but I have been via the US a number of times before.

I once almost drowned in Minorca and had to spend several days in hospital, (because there were serious concerns about infection, although we didn't know it at the time the bay we were snorkelling in is the one where most of that side of Minorca;s effluent is discharged!!), then being discharged only one day before the scheduled return flight. Fortunately my travel insurance covered all the costs. I felt fit enough to leave after 24 or so hours, but was advised that discharging myself might invalidate the insurance should I fall ill again whilst in Minorca. I never did after returning home and the warm welcome of the NHS.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I thought when I last did mine, it could be re-applied up to 9 months before. Though you wouldn't lose that time in-between as it'll just be added onto the next one?

So that's changed now so it won't? Bad Roll eyes

Next time I have to do mine, being round London and the passport office is commutable I may just do mine at Victoria in person, if I can and still live here. Yes I know it costs a lot extra but worth it for the hassle. Mind you it'll expire in 2024, so 6 years time.

Jonpe
Champion

The idea of adding 'unused' months to new passports might have been a way of avoiding too many applications in the summer months.

I thought the old London passport office was just for emergency passports nowadays.  I got the first one I applied for myself as an adult from there.  Subsequently applicants from London have come under Peterborough, Glasgow, and Liverpool I think was the last one in 2011.  With the media reporting that UK student loan applications were being processed in India, I wouldn't be surprised if my next passport came from somewhere like Calcutta.

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

Subsequently applicants from London have come under Peterborough, Glasgow, and Liverpool I think was the last one in 2011.  With the media reporting that UK student loan applications were being processed in India, I wouldn't be surprised if my next passport came from somewhere like Calcutta.

Online is the way to go now. My Wife applied for hers, I took the photo on her phone, it was uploaded and the application sent. Renewed passport through the door in 5 days!! That was at the end of August, so a great turn around time I think Smiley

Mark

Jonpe
Champion

When I last applied in 2011 the application form stated that a photo taken on a personal digital camera was unlikely to be of sufficient quality, I assume that includes mobiles.  Since we are talking about a miniature portrait here and not something that will be enlarged to the size of an advertising poster I can't understand there being an issue with quality.

All my passports have arrived very quickly; if I post the application on a Monday, I receive it by the Friday or Saturday, but then my renewal date has always been in the autumn after the mad summer holiday rush.

Community Veteran

A friend of mine recently renewed her passport. She had a photo done in one of the photo booths in a shopping mall. The booth provided her with a code which she entered into her online application and it was done hi presto without her needing to send off the photo.

When the passport office received her old passport they confirmed the receipt by email and a few days later her new passport arrived with her. The whole process took only a few days.

Community Veteran

My ten day turn around is starting to look decidedly pedestrian. And I thought it was pretty quick (compared to the last time I had new one's in 2005).

pHumphrey

I've faced this so far too. As far as I understand it, for such a case you need a form ds11 to be filled instead of ds82. So I did so, electronically too. Waited for just two weeks