cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received by email this morning - we don't know how lucky we are

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Received by email this morning - we don't know how lucky we are

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930s, 1940s, 50s, 60s and early 70s!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.  We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd  films, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...
We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team.  Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. 
Imagine that!!  Getting into the team was based on MERIT 
Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bullies always ruled the playground at school.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Received by email this morning - we don't know how lucky we are

That's luxury
We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
BTW the shops shut at 5.30pm and were all closed Wednesday afternoons too,
Fixes: 124

Luxury.
We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
My mother has often told me how, during the war, they often had only water to drink that came from a crater made by the bombs! 'Elf & Safety would have had a field day!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

OK here it is again

Enjoy Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

Community Veteran

That's luxury - we have to listen to you lot whinge about everything. Sad
N.B. Lest it not be entirely clear, I am joking.
Fixes: 104

It's suvners that whinge about everything Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
    And you try and tell that to the young people of today who live down south ..... they won't believe you.
Apologies to Monty python for paraphrasing their script "Four Yorkshiremen"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I arose a ten, called for the maid to run my bath which was too hot and fired her, had to wait till 10:30 for the agency to supply a new maid and run a cooler bath. By which time the devilled kidneys were cold, reprimanded the chef. Cancelled appointment with my accountant due to having to wait for the Roll's to be polished, he will just have to come some other time that's all. A tree has fallen over in the southern corner of the estate "where's that"? "Oh is that the corner in Hampshire? or  Dorset corner!? Damn! will have to call DEFRA again to get it taken away I suppose...
Gosh! its tough down here in the south.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I grew up in the early 80's and most of that applies to me too!
Used to spend hours drawing a city in chalk on the ground to drive our Matchbox cars around in, only for the rain to wash it all away
Good times  Smiley
pcoventry
Grafter

Test tubes FTW,
Honestly people have way to much time on their hands to write that drivel.
Community Veteran

It's alright Pete, tell us what you really think
pcoventry
Grafter

Cheesy