cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recall

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Recall

Thousands of cars will be subject to a recall due to possible problems with the passenger side air bag, my current vehicle manufacture between 2002 -2004 falls within this category.
This will be the third recall within the last 8 months, one of these related to a possibility of the headlights failing so some modification was required and the other was the possibility of a fire if the inner door rest arm got wet as it contains numerous switches.
All this work is carried out free but considering the age of the car it's strange it has taken this amount of time before these problems were discovered, I can only assume there is a  main database holding details of repairs to cars and if a particular potential safety problem keeps cropping up the manufacturers are required to notify owners.
It does make a change from day gone by where cars were rarely recalled.
I Wonder if there is a current time period when a manufacturer is no longer required to notify owners about a possible safety problem.?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Recall

The problem is with an airbag manufactured by Takata Corp.  A faulty part can explode sending shrapnel into the car.
Community Veteran

Re: Recall

In the US car manufacturers who use airbags from Takata Corp are Honda, Nissan, Toyota and General Motors. As the airbags are used internationally other manufacturers will be affected as well.