Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to be cheerful

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Reasons to be cheerful

It's the first day of spring, clocks go forward next week, had my jab, lockdown has to end soon... err, that's it. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
4 REPLIES 4
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Reasons to be cheerful

@Minivanman 

The current lockdown should end soon........

Until the next Lockdown........likely to occur due to those who are currently ignoring the rules + those who refuse the vaccine+ those who insist on a holiday abroad to one of the many countries that will still have high levels of corvid.

Just hope my post is completely wrong but you would be brave to bet against it.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

To my mind once they lift that lockdown lid they will have real trouble putting it back down again as rightly or wrongly, people have had enough. Protests in London, Germany, and water canons being used in Holland. And as sure as eggs the French are never far behind when it comes to street protests.

The government might be able to impose foreign travel restrictions in the medium term at least, but lockdowns for good or for bad need to end this year otherwise what has been the point of having those vaccine injections?

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If you count the spring equinox as the first day of spring, then it was yesterday (Saturday 20th March).

I wonder how many additional people were infected by the irresponsible behaviour of those demonstrators yesterday and last weekend.  There was certainly not much social distancing evident.

A year after the first lockdown started most people I come across have still not worked out the difference between two metres and two inches.  I don't mind taking my fair share of evasive action, but as things stand I'm having to walk in the road nearly all the time since the people coming the other way are failing even to move to one side of the pavement to let me pass.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the infection rate in the autumn when the great migration to universities takes place.  It currently looks like people under 50 will not be vaccinated, and many of the young will be against vaccination anyway, either because of misinformation or because they consider the risk minimal due to age alone.

Forget foreign holidays and wild parties, all I want is a haircut.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

It does seem there are second thoughts now that the data is coming in that outdoor meeting do not really spread infection and both Holland a Germany are doing enclosed crowd experiments at the moment. 

Something has to give and whilst the older generation might comply for a little longer, the climbing majority younger (50% under 35 in the UK) generation most certainly will not.

Not easy.

As for a haircut I've buzz cut my own for years.... so that's OK then. 😉