Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear brake calipers - rewinding advice please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Rear brake calipers - rewinding advice please

Hi guys
So.. I've bought me a rewind kit off ebay and it comes with a left and right handed rewinder - obviously both have the threads going in opposite directions.
I've rewound one using the right handed tool.. my question is what is the left handed one for? - Is one caliper right hand screwed and the other left hand screwed or is the left handed one a rarity? Or does it actually matter which way they are wound in at all?
I can't even find a diagram of how they work to get it clear in my head...  Crazy
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Rear brake calipers - rewinding advice please

Different manufacturer = different direction! I think.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeqS6gRmx5w
PowerLee
Rising Star

Some cars do indeed have left & right handed threaded rear callipers depending which side of the car you are working on.
Note I said SOME!
What car are you working on as this would help id what callipers you have fitted & if you need to use the left handed thread adaptor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Vag both turn clockwise, I used a cube, but this is the easy way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Qan0Co9mc
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
Some cars do indeed have left & right handed threaded rear callipers depending which side of the car you are working on.
Note I said SOME!

So presumably its a metal thread inside that can't be turned the wrong way right?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nope it will happily wind OUT if you use the wrong one.
My old Mondeo was one way, the Renault I replaced it with was the other way. Apply and if it gets slack or goes the wrong way use the other one ;-)
Community Veteran

Well thats what i'm asking.. if it winds out then presumably the tool won't be able to wind any further in... right? - Just wanted to be sure i've not screwed it up (excuse the pun) and wound it in the wrong way and stripped the thread lol.
So what i'm asking is... can you feel if its wrong / feel resistance?
Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If you use the wrong tool, it will just go slack on you. At least it did on mine. With the right tool you will feel pressure to force it in, with the wrong tool it will just slacken the connection and fall off (the tool not the calliper)