cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear View Cameras In Cars

Community Veteran

Rear View Cameras In Cars

From 2018 all new cars in the US must be fitted with rear view cameras.
Rear View Cameras
I wonder if the UK will follow Undecided
45 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Rear View Cameras In Cars

They could save significant more lives by banning the gun.
Fixes: 125

I would have thought most of these reversing accidents (where cars are concerned) were more to do with driving without due care and attention and no amount of cameras would change that Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Some already have sensors that bleep when you get within certain distance
The only thing they need to change, is the nut behind the wheel
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So we're all trying to combat climate change and use less energy but the USA decides to force all cars to burn more fuel by putting more strain on the alternators...
Makes sense .. not!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It seems a sensible move. good quality digital video cameras only cost a few dollars to manufacture and it can only improve the capability of the driver to see behind his/her vehicle. For several years I drove a van which had only side rear-view mirrors and not a central one, so I can park/reverse using just side mirrors, but even so I still welcome the parking sensors built into my new car. It is a handy supplementary tool.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The last few cars we've had have all had reversing sensors and a couple had had front sensors.
The last Golf we had also had a radar avoidance system which would slam on the brakes if it though you were going to hit something.
The Mazda we're getting this week has the radar braking as well as the rear view sensors and camera.
Community Veteran

Maybe the states move has more to do with bump parking.
Common over there and I used to do it here a few decades back.
But not something modern car bodies, and bumpers in particular, can take now.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool I assume the dumb yanks they will be replacing the rear view mirror with HUD - showing the message "Rear View"? You can bet the UK will follow on - but - only after some BS directive from the EU. The UK camera will also need to be networked via 4G & GPS to GCHQ, to "fight climate change and terrorism." BTW On the subject of us all being employed to spy for the State, I came across a front looking journey camera that also covertly records the passengers in the car, in glorious InfraRed. No it's not made for Cash Cab Taxi use, it's for anyone needing to monitor the back seat antics of their passengers. Ideal for the skool run, and those weekend dogging trips to Swindon.
Fixes: 47

Does the rear camera view appear on a screen on the dash with a safety warning "Not to be viewed while driving" Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here is the view of my rear window......
Community Veteran

It's suggested the cameras can be fitted with a recorder which could be useful in the case of accident. We discussed this on here some time back.
Community Veteran

Although I don't (yet) have a camera I do find the after market reversing sensors very useful! Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Devonian
Grafter

I'm sorry, but if people driving a fiesta or some other little car needs sensors/cameras to park, then they shouldn't be driving at all.
All these things do is make people lazy, and over reliant on technology to do what millions of people before hand have done quite successfully without.
If you don't know the size of your vehicle, then you have no business driving it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They are quite useful when you are reversing up to a car park perimeter post which is only 12" high