Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Number Plate Lights

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Rear Number Plate Lights

Do we really need them?
we have no light on the front number plate..... so why do we need them on the rear? 
In " the olden days" when number plates were black with white or silver letters/numbers... I can see the point... but is it just a "legacy" left over requirement on the m.o.t. test, because someone hasn`t yet realised number plates are reflective and do not need to be illuminated at night .
( yeah, ok... so if it was a dark street, and someone got knocked down, any witnesses won`t be able to read the number plate... but there again... how many "witnessses" actually thought about getting the number of the car involved ? ? ? )  "sorry, it all happened so fast,.... I didn`t think about that.... "
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Rear Number Plate Lights

You make a good point and one I've not thought about before Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's the law, simple as that, you could fight it with logic like that, but considering the laws of the land were written by people who often had no sense of reality anyway, there's no point trying to argue the point of "well if I ran someone over they're not going to look at my plate anyway!!"... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Yeah, well............... it was the law that number plates hould be black background with silver or white letters/numbers..... that changed due to updating the numbeplates to reflective types... so the law is now different... see ?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Yes, but the reflective properties only works if you shine a light at them, if a copper walking along the pavement (a laughable thought, I know) is watching a car at night and can't see the plate illuminated incase it's doing something illegal, then it doesn't matter if it's reflective or not, it's not lit up to be seen by the authorities, therefore it still law to require it's illumination... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if it was one of those urban myths but I remember reading something about rear number plates that were so reflective it would be impossible for a fixed speed camera to read the plate due to the flash being reflected from the number plate.
Community Veteran

It's a myth, if they were not readable then the cash cows, I mean speed cameras wouldn't be plastered all over the country... Grin
Community Veteran

@ 2cvbloke..... re your reply ... #4.
Exactly my point.... and you agree with me.... a reflective plate shows up when you shine a light on it... so why do you need to illuminate it?  as mentioned in the original post... front plates are not illuminated ...
If a lawman saw a car that was doing something illegal, he would probably be in a law car,... with ....... YEAH!... HEAD LIGHTS... so when he is driving behind it... he will have his headlights on....and be able to read the number plate... even if the car was stationary and did not have any lights on,in the dark, he can still shine his torch on to read the number plate... and... surprise surprise, if the car was parked, in a dark place ....it would not need to have its number plate illuminated... and ... of course... during the day.. it is not needed to be illuminated.... ipso facto... number plate illumination is superfluous to requirements, and therefore the m.o.t. law should be changed in the same way as for allowing the use of reflective number plates, when they changed over from the black/slliver/white type.
do you see?    Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Many number plate lights illuminate the plate very unevenly so, even when'properly' lit they can be very difficult to read (in the dark).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
do you see?    Roll eyes

Yes I see, I see you're obviously being intentionally obtuse here... Roll eyes
It doesn't matter if a cop is in a car or on the street or in bed with your wife, if they don't see your plate on your car lit up, then your car is an MOT fail and illegal to use on the road and will be fined for driving without proper illumination. End of.
Yes, if the cop shines a torch on a parked car's plate, the retroreflective properties would light it up, but if the car's speeding by and there's no time to grab a torch, then the plate illumination, which is a legal requirement in case you've not picked that bit up, is the bit that helps the cop see it as it goes by, and even if they're in a car, say parked up in a lay-by with the headlights not aimed at the plate in question, the cops can see the plate, type it into their onboard computer and pull up their details before the ANPR gets to see it.
Therefore, having the plate self-illuminated from a bulb on the car is a requirement, regardless of it's reflectivity, you're just trying to make up an excuse to not to change the bulb on your car... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I see that you have not read the original post correctly..... the third sentence says.... ? ? ? ? ?
I raise that question because...... there is no need for it to be illuminated anymore.... because ? ? ? ? ?
I am well aware that it is a requirement of the m.o.t. test.... but in light of the two previous lines...... it should no longer be a requirement.....
do you see ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's the law, simple as that, you could fight it with logic like that, but considering the laws of the land were written by people who often had no sense of reality anyway

And on that line of thought I'd like to bring forward another point...
We often moan that those in power have no sense of reality, they're all out of touch, don't understand the real world etc.. yet many of them got in through sheer luck, aren't qualified in anything much and are only kept there cos we voted them in. In other words some of em are just like you and me.. and we moan that they are out of touch  Crazy Admittedly i think most of us mean the rich ones but hey.. seeing as its one of those thoughtful topics lol..
Anyhow with regards to the number plates i've nevever understood why the front plates didn't have to be lit up. It doesn't make a lot of sense although to a point, i suppose if a car is making a speedy escape, the plate you'll see longest is the rear one.
With regards to the speed cameras being blinded by the reflection of a number plate there is truth in it. You can buy a special spray to spray over your number plate and it creates a super bright reflection on the number plate that blinds the camera. I used to think it was a myth but my old neighbour (whos country of origin won't be mentioned here for fear of racism accusations despite it being his country of origin) had used it on his rear number plate and when we came down the road at night, all you would see was the reflection of our own cars headlights - no letters or numbers. A closer inspection of the plate showed quite clearly where he had sprayed the stuff on.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@7up..... moot point.... if the car is speeding toward s you.... the longest time you will see a number plate is from the front !  Grin  (you would probably never see the rear number plate)......
and as I pointed out, and you also state... it is not illuminated...
Community Veteran

Would it be legal to illuminate one's front number plate?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've often wondered if there's any law preventing you from showing 10 different number plates at the rear of your car, providing one of them is the legal one and the rest are not issued.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.