cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Light Cluster - Fail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Rear Light Cluster - Fail

This morning, I was travelling behind some Audi car... can`t remember the model... but remember it for the ludicrously small indicator lights on the rear light cluster...    it was almost inviible.... it was only because I saw the brake lights come on, as the driver was turning left into a garden centre... that i noticed it was actually flashing yellow..

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/jaycam0802/media/rearlightsdrilled.jpg.html    Not sure if it was this model, but it was only about 1 inch in thickness, and not very bright on a sunny day.

What is it with car designers, do they not understand that their "cute" little lights are a danger to other motorists... surely there should be some legislation to govern the size of the lens area to give out a "fair warning" to other drivers.

Going back to before the "signal arms" came into fashion on "modern cars"... it was the law to stick your arm out of the window and make a circular motion with the arm, to indicate you were turning left..... comparatively, the modern trend for almost invisible indicators and braking lights. would mean that you could get away with waving your little finger in a circular motion...

( and yeah .. I know some drivers already do that with the extended 2nd digit of their right hand.)

Another annoying factor is the size of the rear lights on coaches... 52 seater... and they have lights that were fitted to an austin 7 ...   some lorries also shun decent rear lighting...

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Rear Light Cluster - Fail

Next you'll be wanting all cars to be preceded by a man carrying a red flag..........

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indicators eh?

Behind a wide trailer this morning being towed by a much narrower Land Rover.

Stop lights come on the trailer, vehicle slows, and then turns left with no indicator flashing - but as it completed it's turn I could then see the rear of the Land Rover and sure enough, they were working.

Who gives a poop - not some farmers that's for sure.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

You may think that is amusing... but when I was out in Mauritius... it was a legal requirement for the bus drivers and lorry drivers too, I think, to have a red and green flag handy to wave out of the window, to show they were stopping or starting  despite the vehicles having "proper sized" rear light units ! ! !..

( I vaguely remember it in Malta, too, )

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke

Only if they can run at 30mph, minimum.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

shutter wrote:   it was almost inviible....  

Maybe time for a trip to Specsavers?

Community Veteran

@notinmyname  You probably need to... as obviously by that remark... you haven`t even noticed them ... Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

shutter wrote:

Another annoying factor is the size of the rear lights on coaches... 52 seater... and they have lights that were fitted to an austin 7 ...   some lorries also shun decent rear lighting...

As a coach/bus driver, actually I think shutter has a point. The vehicle I regularly drive these days of 02 plate vintage has rear lights that must be at least 4 inches in diameter, two sets of brake lights and indicators on both sides.

To leave the depot all the vehicle lights are to be checked as working and the lenses clean and undamaged, and recorded as such in the vehicle safety check book. Judging by the number of private cars I see during the day with brake lights and other lights not working, it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was made mandatory for all vehicles.

My company has just taken delivery of three brand new 17 plate tour coaches, the rear lights of which are the modern LED type that have the indicators surrounded by the rear lights and break lights in a mounting about (I haven't measured it) 4 or 5 inches in diameter, I would guess the central indicators are not more than 1.1/2 inches in diameter, only one set per side.

No doubt this lighting arrangement conforms to the appropriate regulations.

I have to say though that during the day if the driver does what most bus and coach driver do and use headlights all day, in bright sunlight the rear indicators can be quite difficult to see against the bright LED rear lights.

And er! there is nothing wrong with my eyesight. I have three major eye tests a year, one to renew my licence annually, another as there is a family history of glaucoma and my routine opticians eye test. And recently a retina photograph has been added for mild type 2 diabetes. None of which exhibit any abnormalities. whatsoever.  

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.