Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready, Shreddy, Go.........

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ready, Shreddy, Go.........

I inadvertent converted my trusty old Cross Cut Shredder from paper to cardboard...
I did this by putting too many sheets of A4 through at once, but within the 5 sheet limit.
So, a new Cross Cut Shredder was ordered.
I do shred everything with personal details on, and that includes medication labels, which I used to laboriously peel off the cardboard medication packets.
Then I worked out, should anyone want to, with pharmacy / GP assistance, they could narrow down who the medications belong to, you know, like the local Councils do if you inadvertently place the wrong object in your recycling bin or bag, which I never have my house number on anyway !
Now though, after unfolding the packaging, the whole packet, including my details, gets Cross Cut Shredded in one go.
And any envelopes with details on, such as the one from my Bank, with their name on them !!

I used to soak the paper Cross Cut shreds with water, in a plastic bag, but now we are allowed to place the Shredded paper directly into the cardboard / plastic recycling bin.
Dry contents, so the shreds shouldn't stick, and being conglomerated in a large bin, harder to piece together.
( I was able once to reconstitute a Railway ticket, after suspicions, the red pattern on the back assisted me in doing this )
That person is no longer a part of my life !
I love the way on CSI etc they just place a load of shredded paper onto a platform, and the computer joins up all the images, even the ones upside down !!

I have always schredded old CD & DVD's in a manual shredder, then into at least two separate bags.
This I do with cut up plastic labels too, shredders don't like them.
Radio Times is guilty of using printed on clear plastic wrappers...
8 REPLIES
Roberto0151
Grafter

Re: Ready, Shreddy, Go.........

I've found that shredded paper makes an excellent addition when mixed into a compost heap, provided it's a fair sized heap which is turned occasionally over a long period.
Community Veteran

Any "sensitive" paperwork I dispose of goes straight into my dustbin incinerator and the ashes are then dumped onto my veggie garden.
Fixes: 47

I once took a large black bag of cross-cut shredded paper to the local supermarket car park recycling point....on a very windy day.
I reckon it was around 50-50 container and car park Embarrassed
I didn't try it again.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We use a cross cut shredder too and it also has a slot for chewing up CDs and DVDs. Admittedly the latter isn't much use as it just cuts them into three pieces but I suppose thats enough to damage the tracks and prevent data recovery right? To be honest I've only ever put one disk through it and a couple of bank cards lol
Unfortunately the council don't like shredded paper in the recycling bin even if its tied up in a bag. I find that a bit daft really but I suppose the bloke on the recycling truck would then have to rip it open and while that doesn't sound much, several hundred bags being ripped open a day might lead to a claim for something lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Roberto0151
I've found that shredded paper makes an excellent addition when mixed into a compost heap, provided it's a fair sized heap which is turned occasionally over a long period.

The bin men when they collect the "organic" waste here are happy to take shredded paper. But not interested in any other paper, that is collected by the same crew who collect plastics.
It does get over what to do with all that shredded paper.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The reason that the recycling lorries don't take shredded paper is that you've cut all the fibres so paper made from it would be poor quality.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Ours do but it isn't used to make paper but is used for packaging I believe
This is an example for near us where I assume shredded paper is put with mixed paper
http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Environment/RecyclingWaste/Recycling---Other-Materials/Whathappenstoyo...
Bournemouth's recycling process
After collection from the kerbside, whether it  be household recycling or commercial recycling, all recycling is put into a recycling lorry and taken over to a depot in Poole.
The waste is weighed when entering the site and then bulked up with waste belonging to Poole, before being loaded into larger waste carriers for transport to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) for sorting.
All of Bournemouth’s recyclable waste is taken by waste contractor Viridor to a MRF at Crayford in Kent where it is sorted and separated into different types of materials by machine and by hand.
Once separated into single material streams the recyclable waste becomes a valuable commodity sold on commercially where it can be made into numerous new items.
For example:
    All of the newspapers and magazines collected in Bournemouth end up at Aylesford, Kent & Stora Enso, Ghent, Belgium to be made into new newsprint
    Cardboard ends up at Smurfits Mill in Kent where it is turned into packaging
    Mixed papers are taken to Smurfits Mill, Kent, to be turned into packaging
    Office paper goes to M-Reals Mill, Kent and is turned into Evolve Office Paper
    Glass goes to Day aggregates where it is recycled and used in the road building or container industry for packaging
    Plastic bottles end up at variable markets where they get turned into drainage piping, fleeces or car upholstery
    Cans are taken to AMG Resources & Alcan

Infinity
Pro

They'll have fun sorting out all the shredded cross cut paper with my local Council, it all goes into one large bin, SCCP, Cardboard, Plastic bottles, tin cans etc
I think the main reason they didn't like SCCP until recently, was that it tended to blow around, so presumably they now have more "hermetically sealed" lorries ?