Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading and believing, or not.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Reading and believing, or not.

Reading is not always believing that's for sure, whether it's a piece by an editor or one of their hacks - and don't we know it and if any sense is to be made it can be wise move to check out the writer. Some are known as trusted of course like Clive James who used to write funny and perceptive reviews on television programs for the Guardian.

I was checking out a review earlier on a film I fancied watching on cokencorn and the first two I came across were, funnily enough, from the selfsame publication but where one thought the film was an exercise in boredom, the other described it as "gruelling and gripping".

I dunno, guess the proof of the pudding and all that.....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/anthropoid-review-second-world-war-czech-resistant-cill...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/aug/10/anthropoid-review-humdrum-account-extraordinary-plot...

PS. Watched that movie, 10/10 Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Reading and believing, or not.

Film and TV critics are (probably) also food critics... they use the same rhetoric, just to "grab the headline".. and in doing so, they hope their editor will think... " what a good chappy.... give him a pay rise..."!

when reading Film and Tv reviews.... think Marmite.....   ! 

just because I say I like it, (or hate it) ..... does not mean you will too...

Fixes: 124

Re: Reading and believing, or not.

I rarely read film reviews and definitely not before a major epic I want to see at the cinema.

Having said that I find that the more negative the review the more I want to see itCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still