Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading - Kindle or Kindle paperwhite ?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Reading - Kindle or Kindle paperwhite ?

Thinking about getting back into reading ( few books have caught my eye recently  - especially the new David Jason one)

Looking at the kindle vs the kindle paperweight 

I see the main difference for the extra £ 50 is better resolution and backlight on the paperwhite.

What are peoples view(s) of both the kindles, or is there another reader I should consider? 

Mike
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Reading - Kindle or Kindle paperwhite ?

If you've got a tablet running iOS or Android just use that as the reading app is free and no need to spend additional money. But if it must be a Kindle have a look at the Fire offerings you'll be able to do so much more with it that just read books.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I've tried the Kindle App on my Nexus 9 (Android) tablet and there are two problems, reading in bright light conditions is awful due to reflection, and battery life! Your typical tablet will run for maybe a day or two, the Kindle will go for maybe two weeks!.

My wife has had a Kindle paperwhite for a couple of years now, she uses it constantly in all sorts of light conditions, from in the mornings in bed in the dark, to sitting on the beach in bright sunlight. My eldest daughter had the normal Kindle originally but once she saw her mothers paperwhite she got one as it's just so much better.

So, as Mook says, if you want to use it for occasional reading and do other things with it, then maybe look at a tablet BUT if you want to use it for reading then get a Paperwhite

Superuser
Superuser

Many thanks for the input guys, 

I will be wanting for just reading, so I think a paperwhite it will be, just my look to miss out on the £79.99 pricing 

Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

There's bound to be some offers around Christmas, or if you're near a John Lewis, have a look at their reduced areas in the store, I've often seen Kindles there.

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

I've had a few kindles, including the paperwhite and it's by far my favourite. I've also tried reading on tablets and other devices but the screen just isn't as nice for long periods of reading.

The paperwhite is great for all lights, I'll often read it at night and it's not too bright to wake up the other half but lets me read without eyestrain.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have both a kindle and kindle paperwhite. I got the paperwhite to read in the middle of the night as I often wake up and can't get back to sleep and didn't want to wake my OH.

I prefer the PW to read it really is easier but much prefer the ordinary kindle for management of read books. In the paperwhite I can't get it to move books read from the index into a collection. I like to do that as I can't always remember what I have read and have to trawl through them. The ordinary one is easier to turn pages too as you can go forward and back from either side. Minor details but relevant for me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Personally I have just switched from a PW to a Kobo Glo. I really prefer the Glo. Much better font control, management of books etc.
Unless you are only buying books from Amazon have a look at the Kobo's.
I use Calibre to manage my library and with a couple of tweaks I can just mark the books I want to read next and when I plug in the Glo it automatically transfers them. It automatically sets the screensaver to the cover as well.
Compared to the Kindle (any) where I had to run a jailbreak first, then install addons to the Kindle, then run several apps in Calibre. Then when the books were transferred, I had to reboot to get it to see them then run the app to get them organised, then reboot again to get it to recognise the changes (bit like Windows!) I was looking at a new PW but the hassle of jailbreaking the new ones is not worth it, and I am glad I have the Glo.
It actually reminds me of my first ereader a Sony Prs500 in some ways, same kind of management & front page.
YMMV though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The OP's question was, Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite.

No contest, Paperwhite.

It can be read in all lighting conditions from bright sunlight (the plain KIndle struggles with this) to pitch black night.

The plain KIndle is quite cheap nowadays, but you might regret buying it.

Go for the £109 wi-fi only Paperwhite. It has its little foibles like keeping your fingers off the screen unless you need to touch it for a reason, but you soon get used to this. And of course Amazon is what it is and adverts are part and parcel of life these days. But they can be dramatically reduced by only having the wi-fi on when you actually need it when downloading new material, otherwise leave it in "aircraft" mode. Saves battery power as well.

There's also a much more expensive version... not for me, this is for dedicated technophobes.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I know it was and I did answer it, AND gave an alternative. People tend to think that a ereader IS a Kindle so not true. I have been using ereaders for about 8/9 years well before the Kindle was around.
As I said I have LEFT Kindles altogether at the end of the day it is up to the OP but I would suggest he at least try an alternative. The Glo uses the SAME screen as the PW so no difference there, and they are both backlight.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I thought the Kindle and similar products had been a passing fad; everyone seemed to be reading from them a couple of years ago but I haven't seen one in about a year now.

Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker no offence was intended. I was replying to the OP rather than commenting on your informed reply.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser

After "weighing" things up have decided to go for the Kindle paperwhite. Also, Amazon has told me it should be back on offer next week, so will hold out till buying then Smiley

Thanks for everyone's help Smiley

Mike
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Jonpe wrote:

I thought the Kindle and similar products had been a passing fad; everyone seemed to be reading from them a couple of years ago but I haven't seen one in about a year now.

Maybe you're not looking at the right people, @Jonpe -In my small circle of friends I know five Kindle users (plus me), and I usually see someone reading one when on a journey by bus or train.

John
Community Veteran

When ever I am in a Weatherspoons (for breakfast normally) there is usually at least 2 on the go. Don't know which models they are (if they are even Kindles) but they are ereaders.
Personally I really couldn't do with out an ereader now. I am an advance reader for several authors (means I get the books before release and free) add to that free books from several sources, I have saved many £100's over the years, since I used to spend at least £10/mo on books.