cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading - Kindle or Kindle paperwhite ?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 7

Re: Reading - Kindle or Kindle paperwhite ?

@HairyMcbiker how many books do you reckon you read each year. I haven't read a book for years ( apart from PC mags), but wont to get back into reading and make the time for it. A good way of relaxing.

Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@ITWorks Per year no idea. Varies between 1-5 a week (depends on length of book, 1000 pages tends to be a week). I spend between 3-8 hours a day reading (longer when on holiday or a really good book). I normally have 30-40 in my current read list, with 60-100 in the next list (ones I have read before and want to re-read or a new author to me). Add to several collections I have on there all the time. My ereader normally has ~200 books on it at any time.
As to mags rarely read any now, used to get 5-6 a month. Now I download MagPi/Full Circle every month (free pdf's)
Superuser
Superuser

@HairyMcbiker that's a lot of reading.

My first two to read when I get my Kindle will be :

David Jason: My Life

Only Fools and Stories: From Del Boy to Granville, Pop Larkin to Frost

Mike
Fixes: 307

It must be more than a year since I used my Kindle because of the fourth book in a trilogy failed to appear (yes I know) but this topic has prompted me to charge it up and bring it back into service.

Maybe the fourth book in that trilogy has finally been released.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

I think that if you are only reading 1-3 books a month then an ereader isn't worth the cost, especially if you are purchasing books at full price from Amazon (etc). E.g. was looking at the latest Cussler book on Amazon and it is ACTUALLY DEARER to buy the ebook than the hardback this is just silly.
"Typhoon Fury: Oregon Files #12 (The Oregon Files) by Clive Cussler (Author),‎ Boyd Morrison (Author)
Kindle Edition £9.99
Hardcover £9.50"

Now I would NEVER pay £10 for an ebook! For one thing it is not even yours Amazon can delete it from your reader at any point (search google if you don't believe me) You can't legally sell it or trade it eitherm unlike "real" books.
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I limit my spending in the main to £2.99 max per book and normally only then when I've a read free book and decided I like the author's style. I read many authors I would never have heard of before I got my Kindle.

I bought it when I decided to tour China because I could preload it and carry 100s of books with me. 

Fixes: 332

I don't read many books (except the OU ones which are usually available as ebooks and/or pdf files).

I find Kindle/Adobe Reader on my 8" Acer tablet more than adequate.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I used to use a tablet, the short batter life is one of the main reasons I switched to epaper. Having to charge it halfway through a day was off, now I can read for a month (nearly) between charges.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

@jab1  I travel on the Underground and on buses, and work with some 500 people, many of whom are avid readers of books.  Statistically that is a fair sample, and as I said, not a Kindle (or similar) in sight.  And it's a long time since I saw such a device advertised, which is usually a good guide to its popularity or otherwise.

@HairyMcbiker  I don't think you are legally allowed to resell "real" books either, but I haven't seen charity shops and second-hand book stalls being raided by the police or Trading Standards.  And who is going to control who you lend it to?

Personally, I prefer to read from paper (matt, not glossy) rather than off a screen, and I know a lot of other people of the same preference.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Fair enough @Jonpe my comments were based on my experience.

John
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

And that's fair enough, too. Smiley

Community Veteran

@Jonpe I was of the same reasoning before I used my mates PRS-500, trying it persuaded me to go digital. That was as I say about 9 years ago. When I first got it I found myself turning the reader over to read the next page ;-), it was so like paper. Since then I have had 5 other readers, including a Nook and 2 Kindles (touch & PW). The back-lighting on the PW & Glo make them easy to use anywhere, unlike tablets where you can't read them outside.
I had severe issues with the PW, which I documented above, but the Glo for me just works, and it doesn't need hacking to fix the issues.
But if you prefer paper and stacks of books stay with it, I was that way for many years, now my library contains 1000's of books and I can carry it in my pocket. And find any book in few seconds.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

After having another think, whilst waiting for the Kindle paperwhite to drop in price.

Have decided to go for a Kobo Aura Edition 2 (Which? best buy) as it has just gone on offer from 99.99 to 79.00.

Also like @HairyMcbiker mentioned, less restrictive than the Kindle, in where you can buy books,  and has more user features, in terms of fonts, layout, spacing etc, and to top it off a 2-year warranty, and no ads

Mike
Community Veteran

I would also recommend 2 other things, a screen protector and a case (don't get the official case, any from ebay will be much the same)

And install a copy of Calibre to manage your book library. (If you need any help drop me a pm)

For free books look at instafreebie, bookbub etc. If you have the kindle app then look at dailyfreebooks as well.

Superuser
Superuser

Thanks, have already ordered a Origami Case , will order a screen protector now Smiley

Mike