cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Readers Digest in Administration

Community Veteran

Readers Digest in Administration

It's been announced that Readers Digest has gone into administration in the UK.  It's a publication that never seemed to keep up with the times IMO.  If you ever got on their mailing list it took ages to get off it.
Readers Digest
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Readers Digest in Administration

Tell me about it Roll eyes
I had a nightmare scenario a few years back where they put me on a subscription and started sending me their dreadful publication.
I had red letters galore demanding back payment and it finally stopped when I sent a registered letter quoting the law and advising them to collect their stuff within the time frame or it would be destroyed.
Not my favourite company and not sorry about the news. Sorry about their staff losing jobs of course.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Agree - it seems in a time warp of about the 1950's / 1960's.
Why are doctors / dentists waiting rooms full of them ! ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all short couple of pages stories
idlewis
Grafter

I am surprised that they are in administration as I thought they have some good stuff availabe to buy.  I bought CD's ands books mainly.  I did not like the way they try to get customers buy stuff so that you go into a draw to win large sums of money and you get no joy with them but I too sorry for staff who are leaving their posts.
N/A

Well alright, it is a bit dated, but there is bound to be some people who'll miss it and it did contain some off-beat stories that you'd never have read anywhere else.
Also, I used to like to have a go with the word game.  Won't miss it myself though but will have to remember to take my own reading matter when I have my next appointment with the NHS!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! we were also victims of the Readers Digest approach to customer services once upon a time. Don't recall how we finally got rid of them except it took over a year before they finally took the hint. We got them through moving into a property that the previous occupants had an account with them, RD simply kept on send their rubbish to the same address, when I wrote to ask them to stop they simply changed the name on the address.
Another difficult company to get tangled up with is Time Life. Who go under many other subsidiary names. If you're ever tempted to purchase those compilation CD sets from TV ads, its very likely Time Life is behind it somewhere...take my advice don't buy, you'll never get rid of them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@poppy.... I am sure that if you visit your local charity shops, you will notice they have a stock of "hardback"  readers digests,  usually have 4 condensed books per hardback.... Usually extremely cheap, and you can always give them back after you have read them.!.... buy yourself a carrier bag full for a couple of quid!.... I have found they sit quite nicely on the floor under my seat in the car, and very useful when waiting for someone to " just nip in Asda for a few bits........" Roll eyes