cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Typical toff freeloader thread

Fixes: 124

Moderator's note:

The above thread had got way out of hand. Trying to sort out and remove the vitriolic posts became too messy so my only option was to remove the thread in its entirety.

These forums are not for your personal grudges against each other or for the type of personal attacks that were becoming commonplace in that thread.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Whilst I agree it was getting out of hand, it's disappointing that you felt the need to remove the entire topic as from memory, it would have been easy enough I'd have thought to identify the point at which it started to get personal and edit from there.  

Have topics been removed entirely before I wonder because many have been guilty of the same 'vitriol' as you call it and yet remained on view, albeit closed. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Given how heated some political threads can get, maybe it's about time the rules were tightened up a smidge, other forums I use have rules on political discussions (either not allowed or strictly moderated) to keep things from running away like they do here, and those forums are quite pleasant and peaceful with no slogging matches as to who has the biggest repertoire of foul names to call others... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I must admit Mav I was surprised the reply using the [-Censored-] word was allowed to stay. It was offensive and designed to cause trouble.. yet you replied later and seemingly ignored it! You know I mean well but if someone wants to pick a fight I'll stand my ground.

Sorry it got a bit out of hand, it would be nice if the other person also apologised for all the name calling etc.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Given how heated some political threads can get, maybe it's about time the rules were tightened up a smidge, other forums I use have rules on political discussions (either not allowed or strictly moderated) to keep things from running away like they do here, and those forums are quite pleasant and peaceful with no slogging matches as to who has the biggest repertoire of foul names to call others... Smiley

Some forums i used to frequent have a "Sin bin" forum where rotten topics can be moved to and continued / ignored by whoever as appropriate.

Maybe we should have a "Politics / Sensitive" forum in a similar manner and then threads in there an be heavily moderated?

@Minivanman

With numerous quotes and interspersed posts from others it was becoming too difficult using the tools available to keep some continuity going - I did try.

@7up

We were in the process of discussing adding the word to the Swear Filter when the decision to remove the thread was made.

Personally I don't see the need to start any other forums. This is first and foremost a place to discuss Plusnet-related issues with General Chat and some other forums tagged on. There has been talk previously of withdrawing General Chat due to how political/religious topics were getting out of hand and it would be a shame to have to go down that route because of a few members who may need to re-read the rules.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Adding it to the filter was probably still a pointless thing to do though hours after the attack had been made.

Further many forums only filter words like that at submission time (reduces cpu load  - replace once, replaced forever) so it's possible that it would have remained in the post regardless.

Mav but i do on this ocassion think that you got it wrong. That post was designed to offend and you let it stay. Look what happened next. Granted i'm not perfect as the other member felt the desparate need to point out (while speaking for the thousands of other members who he's gotten to know in depth in such a short period) but neither is anyone else on this board and so his attack and your ignorance of it were not justified. He's entitled to his own opinions obviously but if it had been the other way around and i'd attacked him you lot would of been down on me like a pile of bricks.

But to be honest, i'm beyond caring anymore. This forum has been on the slide for a while and with something bad that happened to me this week a silly forum on a ISP just doesn't hold that much interest.

Minivanman
Hero

@Mav

"There has been talk previously of withdrawing General Chat due to...... "

Then forum attendance would take a dive as it seems to be the most popular section but still, look on the bright side, they'd need fewer moderators. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Mav wrote:

There has been talk previously of withdrawing General Chat due to how political/religious topics were getting out of hand and it would be a shame to have to go down that route because of a few members who may need to re-read the rules.

i would agree with that.
this forum is to discuss plusnet issues.
not sure why there was ever a need to have a sub-forum for posting funny new articles, pictures etc etc.
there are plenty other forums for that sort of thing.

Steve
Pro

Well I don't agree with you this time @chenks76 TalkTalk has a forum and also has a section for a bit of natter with regular forum members. Would be a shame to not be able to get my daily dose of certain members threads here. If it is old time members causing bother then they definitely should know better and keep a lid on it.

Also please don't post anymore @Mav you have 15.000 posts and it would be a shame to spoil that number!! congrats!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

there is an argument that plusnet shoudn't be mirroring talk talk though Smiley

Steve wrote:
Also please don't post anymore @Mav you have 15.000 posts and it would be a shame to spoil that number!! congrats!!

Too lateCheesy

Best wait till 16,000Wink

Steve
Pro

Perhaps @chenks76 but i just used them as one example as that is all I know. I don't know if other ISP's have forums.

Fixes: 47

Steve wrote:
Also please don't post anymore @Mav you have 15.000 posts and it would be a shame to spoil that number!!

He's catching me up Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It just needs forum participants to be civil and to avoid resorting to personal smears. The English language is sufficiently rich to call someone an absolute plonker disconnected from reality without resorting to abusive language. I enjoy reading the comments which declaim a National Conspiracy to enslave the working class/fluffy bunnies.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.