cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As another Bright Spark who was awarded it a long time ago I would say stick it out and ignore the small group who are complaining.
Now whether my Bright Spark identifier is retained or scrapped will make no difference to my contributing to these fora as I didn't ask for it nor expect it but if I see the atmosphere here degenerating to that which prevailed on tbb at one time where a small number of posters effectively drove people away I will probably reconsider.
To summarise I would recommend staying the course unless things get a lot worse.
EDIT - pity I can't vote for 2 options but I see no reason why you can't remain a Bright Spark and stand for moderator although that appears to be a thankless task at the moment
10 REPLIES
cajef
Grafter

As I said in one of my posts, it was not personal or in anyway criticising yourself when I gave my opinions in a previous thread, and I do not wish for anyone to leave the forums.
My criticism was more as to why these extra titles are necessary and the undemocratic way they are given out.
All of us are here to hopefully inform and help others if it is within our capabilities that partially is the purpose of these forums.
Others seem to be of the opinion that some with these titles are taking it upon themselves to act as unofficial moderators and influence decisions about the way these forums are run, which once again leaves me to question the necessity for these so called honorary titles.
And before I am accused of jealousy again, I have no wish to be given a title and if one was offered I would refuse it.
jazz
Grafter

I for one very much hope that you will remain as a "Bright Spark".  By all means run for Moderator election too if you feel like it.  When i first joined PlusNet the thing that stood out for me compared to my previous ISP was the Forum and the helpfulness of its contributors.  I found the Bright Spark idea useful since it helped to identify early on the posters who had experience and a proven track record.  It did not mean that I didn't also read and pay attention to other posters but, as a newbie, I found it to be useful additional information.  I hope that the system will continue.
With reference to TBB, that was a site which I also used to visit at one time but the incessant posting by about half a dozen "harpies" got so annoying that it totally nullified any value the site once had.  I don't think that problem is arising here but it does seem to me that forums are generally better off when posters make their point and then leave it there for others to respond to, or not.  If others find it important or interesting they will add to thread; if not then the matter will just fade. 
Dusty
Grafter

I have been personally attacked for helping the moderation team in suggesting closure of threads that have got out of hand, and movement of threads to a more appropriate board.

Who personally attracted you ? what abuse or what name were you labeled with.  If your referring to people questioning what you did and the need for forum bright spark. May i suggest that you standing for mod would not be a good idea, as your need thicker skin, if you think people questioning bright sparks as a personal attack.
Also threads like this and adding a poll asking people what you should do, does you no favours as mod material and could be seen by others as sycophantic and a bit neurotic.
Plus Moderator James H having  digs, does him self no favours and this  forum no good, and only confirms that there is an in crowd here. This place is losing credibility and the sooner plusnet stopped sweeping it under the carpet and sort this out the better.
I think you should stand for election as a moderator - heck, if we get enough interest, I might be able to take a break from moderating and get on with enjoying the forums, rather than having to spend time constantly trying to defend myself against over-active imaginations..... Wink

So who has over active imaginations ? Don't say it unless your prepared to go the whole hog. Nothing is over imagination, everything including what you say is here for everyone to see.
The moderation on these forums is antagonistic , controlling and you should not be adding fuel to the fire with comments like that.
Community Veteran

I think that's quite enough - any more of this shenanigans and it'll end up locked just like some other threads, not to mention the thoughts of sabbaticals are running through my mind at this moment in time.
You have voiced your opinions same as everyone else, but you are now becoming antagonistic and troll like. And before you accuse me of being part of the "in" crowd, think again - if a staff member or moderator acted in the same way as you are, I'd only be too happy to dish out warnings to them too.
I would urge you to re-read the [Forum Rules] before you post any more in this thread.
Community Veteran

Oh well.. I must learn to type faster Wink
holdtight
Grafter

Obviously its down to how you feel about the situation and how much enjoyment you still get from the forums but if you want my tuppence worth stay where you are remain as a bright spark and run for moderator at the next opportunity that comes along
As has already been mentioned and as you well know there are a few (very few) who seem intent on causing just this kind of upset for what reason or motive is probably only known to themselves
Take no notice and ignore them don't give them the satisfaction of knowing their getting somewhere
I've been reading with absolute amazement and i must say some sadness what's been said backwards and forwards in all the posts so far but have been reluctant to comment and get drawn in as i cant really add any more to what's been said already other than shame on you few
I'm sure i will now be either accused or thought of being a PN fanboy and/or being in the same mythical closed group conspiracy that slaps the backs of all the moderators or some other such nonsense, do i care.... NO i dont
I hope you do the right thing and stay Peter

Bill.
Community Veteran

Peter
Although I am confident that you would make an excellent Moderator, I voted "Remain as a Bright Spark".
You have proved to be exactly the type of person the title was introduced to give recognition to!
I remember a little while ago when you first started posting on the old portal forums as "lestones". I remember liking you immediately and was glad to see you recognised - as a "Bright Spark" - early on for your efforts within the community.
(Unlike myself, so far) -You have become prolific in the level of support and advise you offer since the move to the new Community forums and I want to personally thank you for that.
You are an outstanding contributer to this community!
Keep doing what you do, as imo you do it so well!
Best regards.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
pity I can't vote for 2 options but I see no reason why you can't remain a Bright Spark and stand for moderator although that appears to be a thankless task at the moment

AS God said it is a pity I can't vote for 2 options.  Wink
Quote from: James_H
Yup, there's definately two crowds.
There are those who want to make this place a useful resource for the community.

James is 100% rite, I am sick of members just having a go!
Community Veteran

I am unable to vote as I believe the choice is yours as to whether you contribute or not to these forums.
[nitpickingmode]
With the 'Bright Spark' title being a award from your peers I do not believe you can resign from the title. Give it up may be, but it is not a job, just recognition of your contribution to the community.
[/nitpickingmode]
I too believe that a lot of the recent posts have got too personal and hope that my own posts came across as a disagreement with the views expressed rather than with the individuals who made the post.
Having ended up with a similar dilemma on two forums I used to admin on due to different problems. One I decided to resign on due to the dodgy practices of the new site owner and the other I decided to stick it out after realising I was taking comments too personal. In both cases it took a break away from the forums for a short period, then looking at it again before I made my decision.
Hope this helps.
John_Campbell
Dabbler

Cheesy Late vote for brite spark , I know it must be hard to ignore all the negative comments you have had in the past but I would say to you "stick at it" as people like you are needed to help people like me who are stll trying to get to grips with the ould tin ter net me laaarke. Good Luck Matey. The Grinder