cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Product Refresh - VAT rate discussion split off

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And there was 'rumours' of VAT actually going up to 18.5% next year.
Don't want to scaremonger, but nothing would surprise me with this government.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Product Refresh

I don't know if they still do but France used to have a special 'luxury' rate of VAT which was higher than their standard rate.
Community Veteran

If I remember correctly, we used to have a higher rate as well, until Maggie (I think) abolished it.  We still have varying rates of course.  "Green" products such as solar water heating systems have a 5% rate and most food is zero rated.
John
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: hulls
If I remember correctly, we used to have a higher rate as well, until Maggie (I think) abolished it.  We still have varying rates of course.  "Green" products such as solar water heating systems have a 5% rate and most food is zero rated.

The milk snatcher would never have done such a thing!

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
John

There were 2 rates and Maggie did indeed abolished the higher rate. Unfortunately she als abolished the lower rate as well. See here
techguy
Grafter

Obviously not a fan then eh Jeremy?
To  be honest, although I was born under Magge's reign I don't remember much of her as didn't really become politically aware till I was 7.
I have a uniform disdain for politicians so don't really care who ia  in power
Fixes: 125

Quote from: techguy
I have a uniform disdain for politicians so don't really care who ia  in power
I was under the impression that those in power have a uniform disdain for the rest of us Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Definitely not a fan.
I do wish her an early death (seriously)
- Thatcher killed most manufacturing and virtually all the coal mines in this country.  Angry
We now import everything.
Just to keep on topic,
VAT Rates 1979-1997:
    * 1979 Budget: VAT increased from 8% and 12% to a unified rate of 15%
    * 1991 Budget: VAT increased to 17.5% to finance Community Charge rebates
    * 1993 Budget: VAT imposed on domestic fuel (8% in first year to rise to 17.5% in following year)
    * 1994 Budget: Second stage of VAT on fuel abandoned - rate stays at 8%

I see no reduction of VAT - simply that a threatened increase was not proceeded with.
It's a reduction in the same sense that Plusnet have an "unlimited" broadband option. Smiley

skippyonspeed
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
And there was 'rumours' of VAT actually going up to 18.5% next year.
Don't want to scaremonger, but nothing would surprise me with this government.

I believe they intend to introduce VAT on all food as well which would be far worse.
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Re: Product Refresh - VAT rate discussion split off

Quote from: skippyonspeed
I believe they intend to introduce VAT on all food as well which would be far worse.

I disagree - I think a 10% VAT on food would help cut peoples food bills (on average across the country)
Sure - some [many?] people would suffer, but a mechanism could be created to allow people on specific benefits to re-claim food VAT.
In the main though it would encourage people to only buy food they will eat, and reduce wastage, which in turn costs our economy hugely in terms of disposal costs etc.
We keep hearing statistics showing that we throw away £100's/yr of food - this would help encourage a reduction, along with all the benefits a less wasteful society would deliver.
skippyonspeed
Grafter

Quote from: James_G

I disagree - I think a 10% VAT on food would help cut peoples food bills (on average across the country)
Sure - some [many?] people would suffer, but a mechanism could be created to allow people on specific benefits to re-claim food VAT.
In the main though it would encourage people to only buy food they will eat, and reduce wastage, which in turn costs our economy hugely in terms of disposal costs etc.
We keep hearing statistics showing that we throw away £100's/yr of food - this would help encourage a reduction, along with all the benefits a less wasteful society would deliver.

Yeah right!  You sound as though you should be a Labour MP
I can't see the poorest of society making any savings, they are already buying the cheapest food they can afford.  Their diets would get even worse and health costs would go up.
Even more unnecesary bureaucracy.
Lower income households who would suffer the most probably can't afford to waste food. 
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo): Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Lurker
Grafter

Please read what I posted before embarrassing yourself ranting.
I already said that many people would suffer as a result.
Sheesh - what's the point in typing a message if folks are only gonna see what they want to see, so they can employ some Dail Mail-esque outrage.
I'm disagreeing that it would be worse (nationally) - not saying that it would be better (for everybody).
There is a difference.
Please re-examine my previous post, and see if you can come up with a useful exchange of views, rather than resorting to a personal attack.
skippyonspeed
Grafter

...And who exactly would it be better for.....probably the people who don't have to think where the next meal is coming from and who would continue to throw away food.
I don't believe I made a personal attack, I merely stated you would make a very good Labour MP
adie:quote