cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PC Magazines

Community Veteran

The ones I subscribe to:
PC Plus - despite moves over the years to move it towards the more business-oriented end, PCP still tends to lean towards its hobbyist roots.
PCW - touches on server stuff only inasmuch as it might be used in the home (eg N-port network switches, Windows Home Server, etc)
PC Pro - the subs edition contains a section which focuses on server-related elements (it used to be a subs-only addition to the magazine, but dunno if it's now in the newsstand edition as well). Also noticeable for watching the protracted "road to Damascus" conversion of Jon Honeyball as he rants more about MS every issue.
Comp Shopper - I've read this since issue 1 (the days of Volkswriter demo versions of very floppy disks on the cover, and being printed on recycled toilet paper) - more desktop, I'd guess, although there are some regular columns relating to more business-side areas. Sadly missing MacBiter (probably the longest running Apple column that hardly ever mentioned them, or indeed much in the way of computers at all).
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
14 REPLIES
grimme
Grafter

Most mags are aimed at the Windows software and hardware side and seem to have items relating only to desktop home usage, very little (if any) coverage on server related issues.
Those most likely to have server related items now and again are PCW, Computer Shopper and Computer Buyer
More technical discussions on both desktop and server solutions seem to be in the Linux related mags.
grimme
Grafter

I always thought PCW were the most balanced between the two camps that a mag aimed at the general masses (hence mainly aimed at Windows home users) could be.
They have a technical section at the back of the mag for programming, Linux/Unix, networking etc and they regularly put Linux Distro's on the cover DVD (I'm sure they had a Ubuntu Gutsy beta on one in the last couple of months)
LiamM
Grafter

I'm an avid subscriber and big fan of .net - some very useful articles every month and always a well humoured read.  I've got about 5 years worth next to my desk, so a library to refer to if i want to read up on something specific.
Occasionally, I'll pickup some light reading of Computeractive - but PC Pro / Computer Shopper just seem to be full of ads to me.  I'll buy them only if there are some decent reviews of kit I'm after.
Community Veteran

I take PC Plus. Great magazine apart from the fact that the bar stuards havent sent my star letter prize over a month after puplication! *ends niggle mode*.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not that you could really call it a PC magazine, but the only one I subscribe to is Retro Gamer .. I think I am a bit nostalgic about my C64 and Amiga A500 gaming past Grin
I only buy magazines now and again occasionally if I fancy reading one. I always rememeber their cover media going from 5.25" discs, to 3.5" discs, to CD and now DVD. I think the CD to DVD transisition annoyed me .. they get paid by companies to put demo programs on there, and so we have to pay extra for the privilage to allow them to put a lot more stuff on the cover .. so they get more revenue from advertising and we pay more. Good deal isn't it?
I realise that it's not just the cover mount which matters, but still it's coming nearly 6 quid + now for any magazine, and why do the DVD editions cost more than CD when they're able to put more advertising on them? I know you get older versions of full products on there, but still.
It seems there is a lot of emphasis put on cover mounts, I doubt aside from mainly a couple of programs, that people won't be keen to overload their PC's with a set of demo products.
I can see the point with say if a Linux distro was included, too large to download (well it isn't, but you'd have to do it overnight with PlusNet) and I probably couldn't be bothered anyway Cheesy
Too expensive and personally I am sure that the couple of products I would be interesting in evaluating or full products I could download off the internet.
Though, if they are saying doing a group test of something you're interested in, then the article is woth buying it for. Or just read it in WH Smiths, when waiting for your train home (as everyone else does) Grin
clockley
Grafter

@Alex,
I love retrogamer, and sister mag gamestm!  Cracking reads and I always end in a tidal wave of nostalgia, vowing to get my old Amstrad CPC464 out of the loft Cheesy
Back on topic, I end up nabbing the father in laws magazines, Vista user, PCW and micromart occasionally for bargains.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I like Zzap!64.    Cheesy
Community Veteran

I have to say that I've recently taken (and subscribed) to .net - I picked it up once to read on the train and have bought just about every issue since then.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As I said, I don't buy much now .. occasionally I did Computer Shopper when it was cheap, so that is not anymore.
I think I also used to buy PC Pro now and again, it had a bit more content than Computer Shopper, though that isn't difficult because if you remove the adverts there isn't much left!
Someone subscribes to that in the office (PC Pro not Computer Shopper), and I find it useful when they're doing a group test of something I am interesting in buying. That person keeps a neat back catalogue on his desk, so I'll ask him if I can read his copy Cheesy
Someone else does Custom PC, but that is not really my thing. I customise my PC once - as in I'll build it and provided it works I'm happy, and I won't bother to do anything else to it Grin Though I know that others will do a lot to their PC's and I was surprised reading that, how 'custom' you can go.
Reminds me about .NET magazine, I bought it ages ago and I remember it being good then, but don't know what is like recently. I recently found an old copy at home cira 1998-ish and it was interesting to compare how things have changed.
Community Veteran

PC Pro and PCW.
OK my PCW subscription has just expired if someone would like to gift me a  subscription  Grin
And "Computer Weekly" for the business news and sit-vacant.
Chilly
pjemmanuel
Grafter

PCW on subscription since, I can't remember when. Got DVD cover disks to hand dating back to May 2001, and magazines dating back to January 2003 under the desk.
Really ought to have a clear out.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

PC Magazine used to be my first choice before it became "on-line" only and I was offered a PCW subscription to replace my PC Mag subscription - not as good IMHO - but still covers most of the bases for me.
James
Grafter

I quite like CustomPC Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Lol....  I bet you do!