cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OpenDyslexic Font

IanSn
Grafter

This probably goes off topic for this forum but do dyslexic people also have problems with numbers?
I ask because I have problems with numbers.
I'm fine with letters - obviously not dyslexic in that way - but numbers... its mad.
I can't get numbers the right way round, I'll read (or write) 62 when its actually 26. (Number generally means nothing to me anyway, I can't add up to save my life).
Very often I'll write a 3 when I'm trying to write 5. The other day I did this four times, even though I was really trying!!
(Typing is different for some reason.)
I'm totally ignorant about dyslexia, but is there such thing as dyslexia with numbers? Or am I talking about something wholly different?
It is a major problem. At work, for ex., there are a lot of things I can't do, or trust myself to do.
If anyone knows anything about this...?
I haven't even googled this yet. This is the first time its occurred to me I could find out what's wrong with my funny head...
16 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

My dad has that, I can't recall what it's called but it's pretty much dyslexia for numbers.  If my dads on the phone and you'll say a number to him, he'll invariably write it down wrong.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Dyscalculia.

IanSn
Grafter

@ David - Amazing.
God yes... making phone calls is just embarrassing  Grin
Does the dyslexic font help? Brilliant if it does.
@ Renard - Thanks for Dyscalculia (I thought you were joking at first!)
Just did a Wiki on that - Now I can put a name to it! Cheesy
That is (some researchers argue), an individual might suffer arithmetic difficulties (or dyscalculia), with no impairment of, or even giftedness in, abstract mathematical reasoning abilities.

When I was at college many moons ago, I was the best at understanding the astract concept and equations but the tutor was amazed to find I couldn't even add up or understand basic mathematical calculations.
I also failed to get into a (would you believe) graphics design school because I couldn't pass this maths entry exam they used at the time!  Huh
(What's wrong with foxes? I think they're cool. Saw one close up outside my window a while back. Beautiful colour.)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

My original forum name is/was a one word anagram of the English translation of "Un renard, c'est le Mal"  Smiley

David_W
Rising Star

I don't know if the font would help.  From what I understand it stops the numbers and letters flipping over so if you read 6 as nine and not six it could be of assistance to you but if you read 123 as three two one then it's flipping it in the wrong direction.
IanSn
Grafter

@David - Based on that font principal, I was wondering if making the first of two digits bold -- 23 might work. Or the middle of three digits -- 123
Not that you could design a font to do that, of course. But I might try it out of my spreadsheets and see if it helps me to read the numbers straight at least.
Bit time consuming though!
Certainly works for me looking at this.

@Renard ...........
  ............................  I'll be back  Grin
(sounds like some obscure scientific word. Or an equally obscure '70s metal band or something...)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

If your font was properly kerned, then you could arrange for extra space between digits...
According to Wikipedia - Kerning in Browsers,
The CSS property text-rendering: optimizeLegibility; enables kerning in Firefox, Chrome and Safari.[2] There's also the proposed CSS3 property font-kerning[3], but it is only supported in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer 10. [4]. The CSS3 draft states that kerning should only be enabled for OpenType fonts. [3]
So perhaps one day...

IanSn
Grafter

Interesting thought. This could help. Though, for me, it seems important to distinguish between one digit and another, no matter how far away from the other it is.
So that its definitely 23 and not 32.
Making certain digits bold or bigger alternatively in a browser... I dunno, probably do-able but it'd slow down the works a bit!
If the number is over four digits this stops working so well for me, so...
But could be easily do-able on calculators. Or even, less easily, on spreadsheets (some cell formatting where, if its a number, then the second digit is rendered as bold).
There's still the difficulty with the idea of number, or the conceputalising of number, just as much as its visual appearance. There's not much to solve that problem. You just have to live with the fact you 'think different' in some undefined way. I wonder if its a left-brain/right-brain thing?
I suppose if you get yourself in the right employment you could work it to your advantage instead of hindrance.
Doing brain scans on different folks working out numbers would be interesting. That will happen one day - if it hasn't already.
David_W
Rising Star

If the issue is just with reading and writing numbers in the correct order, could a solution be listening and saying numbers?  If you're able to say  1 2 3 4 5 6 but not write it down then maybe using speech recognition software would work for you coupled with software that reads content so if it comes across 1 2 3 4 5 6 it'll come out of your speakers.  Of course, this assumes that you're able to visualise the words in the right order when they are read to you.
Another possibility, if the numbers are different by colour, would that make it easier.  1 2 3 as there is a difference between each number?
Fixes: 105

Re: Re: OpenDyslexic Font

mod:note
Split from topic about the community site as it had deviated a lot from original post
Will Moderate For Thanks
IanSn
Grafter

@David - Just quicky - I'm supposed to be working!
The colours thing seems to work. I think. But when/where would it be feasible to use/implement it? The main problem is reading numbers from standard sheets, etc. You couldn't expect everyone to make allowances for the occasional number-freak like me!!
But yes, it does seem to make a difference.
It is fascinating to read 217 from a page, yet the 'voice' says "27", or "172".  It just keeps happening.  There is the danger when copying or using that number again I'll get it wrong.  Meticulously checking over and over that its right.
So yes, to hear the sound of it would probably make a huge difference - its moved from being visual to audio and is correctly memorable as sound...
It'd be interesting to try it out anyway.
Sort of got used to this now. I had the problem since infant school.
Mainly now its interesting, why does this happen?  Its so weird!
Need to read up more about word dyslexia and folks who have that - I know very little about any of this...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Here is a web site for you - http://www.dyscalculia.org/ - seems quite complete.
BTW Do ordinal numbers 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc cause the same problems as cardinal numbers?

IanSn
Grafter

Ooo, now, that's interesting.
I don't see it as a 'disability' in the sense its referred to on that website. Just a different way of thinking. I was able to grasp theory and equations way in advance of most of my fellow students (back in the day), I just couldn't do the sums.
(Also started reading long before other kids at infant school, too. I was on 'Biggles' when they were plodding thru 'Janet & John' -- if anyone remembers them!!! But arithmetic... dumbo.)
Though this is a good site, and plenty of books to read, I'll give it a proper look later.
Not completely sure what you mean by 'ordinal'. (Just realised those two words, ordinal and cardinal, have strong religious connections...)
Can't get what exactly does happen, though. It seems as if brain is picking out what it thinks are the most important numbers. Something like that. Whatever happens, it has very little to do with the numbers' numerical value... if that makes sense!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

An ordinal relates to a set of things placed in order - for example 1st, 2nd, 3rd - here "3" or "3rd" is the relevant ordinal.
A cardinal number is perhaps more abstract in that there is no implied ordering in your set and gives rise to the normal problem numbers 1, 2, 3 etc.
I know the difference seems to be a fine one, but it would appear that we treat the two types of number differently.
Wikipedia has a great deal to say on the subject...