cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Junk Mail

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

The MPS is right that it can't do anything about "To The Occupier" addressed letters, although there has been some talk this year of the government putting a stop to that loophole (not heard much about it since though).
I done a quick search for your and found this. Let me know if it's any good for you Smiley
19 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Anyone?
coat Cheesy  Grin
Community Veteran

The article is dated August 2006. I can't imagine it has any current relevance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

* PUTTING A 'NO JUNK' STICKER ON YOUR LETTERBOX
Many people put brightly-coloured stickers on their letterbox which say something like: 'Please no junk mail.' This is a polite request - but nothing more than that.

My notice has been there for about 2.5 years now... and I rarely get any junk mail.... if I manage to catch the postie as he drops it in... ( we don`t have the same postie every day/week/month !  ! )....  then I just remind him that part of the requirements of his job are to be able to READ ..... !  he usually tries to remind me he has to deliver it by law.... when I tell him, that only applies to mail specifically addressed to my address and not junk mail.... he mumbles about something as he walks away.....
One did try to argue that he had to deliver the junk mail as part of his job, and again, I said, yes, ok... but read my notice.... the last line is relevant to your work...
My notice reads  ( it is A5 landscape size... and has BOLD black lettering on a RED background, with a border looking like a postage stamp perforations ! ! )...

PLEASE.... no more junk mail,
no more charity collection bags, takeaway food  leaflets etc.
If you HAVE to deliver it, then use the BLACK BIN by the telegraph pole.....

( we have a telegraph pole on the corner of our frontage, where the refuse bins reside ! )..
Community Veteran

Re: Re: Junk Mail

poor postie can't win.  we don't want the rubbish his employers insist he delivers.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't mind if they deliver it, the recycling bin is right next to the letter box and it gives the kids something to practice art work with, in years gone by at a different property such delight was had from the free firelighters and paper brick materials that I actively encouraged various companies to inundate me with such materials purely for the purposes of saving me cash  Wink

another good trick is with all the unwanted credit application offerings, fill a box with gravel affix the return paid envelope to the outside and place the application form inside the box, this give the RM some much needed income (make it a nice round kilo weight) from the stupid mail service that just wont get the message having been informed you want off their list, a few heafty bills from RM and they soon stop sending that unsolicited mail  Cheesy
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter

( we have a telegraph pole on the corner of our frontage, where the refuse bins reside ! )..

I wonder shutter... as you love your skoda so much, how on earth would you have found it without advertising?  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I was under the impression that if you formally notified the Post Office (not the postman) that you did not want anymore junk mail they were required not to deliver it ?
Community Veteran

Apparently that will stop all correspondence addressed to 'The Occupier' and some council mail comes addressed this way. Voters registration is one document that comes to mind.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: shutter

I wonder shutter... as you love your skoda so much, how on earth would you have found it without advertising?  Wink

My "old faithful" Skoda..... ( R.I.P. in some far away scrap yard ! )... was found using the internet.....
Likewise my NEW delightful replacement !  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You may have found it online but how would you have known it even existed without advertising? - How would you know skoda existed without advertising? How would you know the internet existed without advertising?
You may dislike junk mail but it does actually perform a service in many ways. Granted i bin most of it too but every now and then a bit of it will grab my attention.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If I want something.... then I am quite capable of doing my own research, and finding the goods or services.... I do not want, or need, to be bombarded with charity collection bags 3 or 4 per week, or indian/chinese/thai/ etc etc food outlets menus or any kind of advertising leaflets from any and all types of business.
How would I know it existed, without advertising.... well, there are plenty around..... and if the local taxi firms, and police use them..... who needs advertising.Huh
  Skoda certainly did not come to mind by way of a leaflet through the door, ... so the form of advertising by dumping UNWANTED paper through my letter box is not acceptable by me.
If you want to accept this form of advertising, then that is your choice.... mine, is to politlely mention, by way of the notice on my door, stating that I don`t want it...  and it works 99% of the time.
Fixes: 125

I wouldn't mind if the junk post arrived when there was no other 'important' post being delivered giving me something open on those days Wink Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter,
Perhaps I need a bigger notice but few people took notice of it and despite saying no junk mail or canvassers  people still knocked on the door.
When I pointed to the notice it was, "oh didn't see that" despite it being at eye level.
Either people can't read or they are on automatic mode.