Did you mean: 

Re: How FAST is your broadband - and are you happy with it? - Off topic

KJILM123
Grafter

Quote from: drewid
Rebooted router and...

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Sounds like mine. Reboot or no reboot, it is what it is. Drew, Slowwwwwwwwwww.
16 REPLIES
KJILM123
Grafter

Re: How FAST is your broadband - and are you happy with it?

Quote from: adiewoo
I'm more than happy with mine

Errrm, Adiewoo, Don't you live on the Plusnet Premises right next to the PN Central Core Router hooked up with a extreme ultra high speed fiber optics cable ?

KJ
KJILM123
Grafter

"Please do not feed the animals. If you have any suitable food, give it to the guard on duty."
- Budapest Zoo sign
Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: KJILM123
Quote from: adiewoo
I'm more than happy with mine

Errrm, Adiewoo, Don't you live on the Plusnet Premises right next to the PN Central Core Router hooked up with a extreme ultra high speed fiber optics cable ?

KJ
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you live a lot closer than he does, it in Docklands London Grin Grin Cool
KJILM123
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you live a lot closer than he does, it in Docklands London Grin Grin Cool

Then what is Adiewoo's secret then ?
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Re: How FAST is your broadband - and are you happy with it? - Off topic

Acceptance that 5.5Mbps is the fastest his line can support.
Not much of a secret really.
KJILM123
Grafter

Is it now ?
Check this after arguing about it for many many posts. 

ADSL
Status
      UP

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
      6791 447
It was before less than that. Much less. It was lately at 4,3 mb/s and after debating that I was right it apparently is so I am right. It has nothing to do with line length, snr, exchange distance or whatsoever. Deal with it, Plusnet. Go back to school and learn what the truth is like.
KJ
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: KJILM123

It was before less than that. Much less. It was lately at 4,3 mb/s and after debating that I was right it apparently is so I am right. It has nothing to do with line length, snr, exchange distance or whatsoever. Deal with it, Plusnet. Go back to school and learn what the truth is like.

If you do not wish to believe the posters on this forum perhaps you will pay more credence to what BT have on their website
The factors governing speed
The main factors governing the maximum broadband speed your phone line can support are:
how near you live to the exchange
the length and quality of any phone wiring extensions in your home
whether all your broadband microfilters are correctly installed
the processing speed of your computer and router or modem
the speed of the connection between your computer and modem or router (Ethernet and wireless are faster than USB)
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@KJILM123
Since you seem to be so interested in line speeds and think you know best, tell me what you think of this.
My sync speed (downstream) is currently 1984kbps. This gives me an IP profile of 1500kbps with Plusnet which matches the BT profile. The target SNR is set to 6dB, and throughout the day the margin varies by +/- 1dB. It can make a difference to the sync speed if I choose to reboot my router when the noise margin is high (usually around mid-day).  I get around 125kB/s throughput on downloads. This is on ADSL1. ADSL2/2+ would not make a significant difference. My router is plugged into a filtered faceplate on my master socket.
I have a line attenuation of 62dB which equates to an approximate cable length from my home to the exchange of 4km. The shortest distance by road is 3.06km, but that is not necessarily the route that the phone line takes.
Am I happy with this? Well I would like it to be faster, but it is one of the downsides to living on the edge of town. On the plus side I can walk four minutes from my front door and be out in the countryside. Its my choice, and until the necessary expenditure on infrastructure (fibre optics replacing copper wires) I'm happy to live with this.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
scootie
Grafter

ive gone from a 50db 3mb line to this new line which is in manchester where the 50db was in the countryside, but again this line is the same as maranello's where am in a city but on the extreme edge where a 4 min walk with the dog takes me out on to the moors. virgin media are in this area but am planing on moving down the road from here so dont want to enter into a contract just yet. the house am looking at is same distance from same exchange so fingers crossed BT's ducting runs a more direct route
ive found using the netgear dg v3 gives nearly a 1mb lower sync where this  zyxel P-660HW-T1v3 seems to give a fixed 6db NM and an extra 1mb in speed on g.dmt
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 1952 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 448 kbps
noise margin upstream: 13 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db
noise margin downstream: 6 db
attenuation downstream: 63 db
i would rather have between 4-6mb so HQ vid and HD content worked but hay when your use to low speeds you get use to working way around things, mainy having the patients of a saint helps
KJILM123
Grafter

@ Maranello
What I think is not important, what Plusnet delivers what they advertise is.  I had long chat last night with a BT engineer. I know now the secrets what is and what is not. But I was told not to tell because he is a friend from across the road.  Although I am burning about it, I can say this. Long live "Ally" cables and the refusal of authorities and investment to work at a better future for customers instead of allowing things to be improved.  Duh !
KJ
P.S. I still find and are of opinion that ISP's should push for better infrastructure with BT.
Community Veteran

Had my neighbour round complaining about his Broadband speed, wanted to do a comparison.
My Neighbour (with TalkTalk, has 2 x slave sockets) peaked out at 2.5Mbps, ran 3 tests.
Best I get (With plusnet, no slave sockets) waved between 1.6Mbps and 1.9Mbps on 3 test run.
We've both got Netgear routers, only real difference is I've had all my cabling renewed in the past 3 months.
That's life I suppose. Its not broken so I've no need to 'fix-it'
itsme
Grafter

If your neighbour is on TalkTalk LLU then the speed difference will be BT profile against no profile on LLU platforms. A sync speed between 2272 to 2816kps will give a profile of 2000kps which a throughput of 1.6M to 1.9m indicate that you on. But your neighbour syncing at the same speed will get a higher throughput.
Community Veteran

Thanks itsme, don't think he is on a talktalk LLU,  talktalk is not enabled
see

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRHTN
makes me wonder if he is actually on TT.
Can verify his speed via http://www.speedtest.net/ is 2.5Mbps.
no worries