Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: BT Home Hub 5

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've been told on the phone to cough up £51.95 for the new hub 5.
However I decided not to go ahead, and pleased I did.
I went to the start a new order page and entered my details, it recognised me as a BT infinity customer and said if I would like to change my package, I clicked yes.  Kept same package and phone etc... I got to the hardware section and had BT Homehub 5 for price £0.00 or with AC dongle £19.00
I only paid delivery charge for the free hub 5!!  I'm hoping this actually comes!! hHoping its not a technical error, order has been processed and is on my BT order tracking system.
Finally the beauty is coming for only £6.95 delivery (rip off RM but better than £50)
So Happy can't wait!!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
16 REPLIES
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Are you on plusnet?

Roll eyes
I'm going to do the dirty trick by ringing BT to cancel unless I get their new hub free

Roll eyes Roll eyes
Finally the beauty is coming for only £6.95 delivery (rip off RM but better than £50)

Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yep all good for me  Cool
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
SuperZoom
Grafter

Hmm. That wasn't quite what I meant though!
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Sounds like you've effectively just committed fraud!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

How?Huh
I clearly haven't as I didn't go ahead with the operator's price for the new hub so I hung up, and didn't cancel.
I went to their website and found I could get the new hub 5 for free just pay postage.
Someone elaborate how this is fraud?Huh
I have screens hotted the order confirmation page
wykehamhouse
Grafter

I went to the start a new order page and entered my details, it recognised me as a BT infinity customer and said if I would like to change my package, I clicked yes.  Kept same package and phone etc... I got to the hardware section and had BT Homehub 5 for price £0.00 or with AC dongle £19.00

Sounds like you've abused BT's free router offer, which is only offered to people upgrading their contract and new customers, which other people in your situation would have to pay for. Therefore, that's fraud!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Well BT have to sort that out, as it is their system error,
anyone can click on the upgrade BT infinity to get BT hub 5, I told a friend of mine about this and it said BT hub 5 for free, she got the dongle version as she needs a AC adapter.
I don't see it as fraud when its the company's error  Shocked
They already generate loads of money by ripping people off  Roll eyes  Also I would consider myself this when they abused me (said I shouldn't have joined them as I am on benefits, I work as well.  This made me extremely angry)  and my phone line when transferring from PN.
Anyone who is on infinity 1 or 2 can just click start order on their package enter their tel no and post code, click 'Change a feature' keep existing package and choose BT hub 5 in hardware section or Hub 5 with AC dongle for £19 plus £6.95 P&P and a order confirmation sent to their email address and noted on MyBT.
Would like to see how this plays.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Loads of companies have done this take for example Asda's £50 reduction voucher http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24494683 ; Or tesco's iPad error http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114697/iPads-advertised-49-99-Tesco-online-pricing-blunder....
This is a one by BT
I wonder who will tell BT? Hopefully they won't find out until I get my hub 5  Smiley
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Another question: how are you on the Plusnet forum if you're a BT customer?
Superuser
Superuser

As the user was once a PN customer, and you can still use your forum account when you have left.
Regards
Mike
Mike
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I also personally asked a mod, if my account would stay open and not closed with my Plus.net account.
They are apparently 2 separate accounts.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

I see. Far enough then.
I see we've somewhat hijacked this head (sorry OP), so I'll stick to the HH5 questions from now on.
x47c
Grafter

So NorthEasterner - BT are generally "ripping people off" are they?
Try this for an example of repair costs then.
The pole that supplies me and 2 others with our lines was defective
BT finally replaced pole and distribution point at top and 'tail' down to joint box nearby.
How much did this cost:
Pole actually costs around £600 and it comes from France as the only EU plant left able to creosote the thing
Add in two people to do the work and scheduling in of the pole erecting/removing lorry/staff.
I'd guess at around £2000 is the all in costs for doing this replacement.
Now, line rental is around £190 per annum per property.
This pole feed 3 properties so the annual combined rental income for BT from these properties is £570.
So that means that just ONE repair for these three properties has consumed the ENTIRE gross income from the three properties for 3.5 years.
If you knock off allowable expenses from the line rental that BT gets from us then you will find the repair has consumed BT's profit on us three houses for a great deal longer.
If you were renting out a house and were told that you needed to do a repair and it was going to cost you 3.5 years gross rental income (which probably means 10 years net profits)I can imagine what your reply would be - mostly unprintable.
In fact you would probably say that the rental would have to up very considerably to pay for this sort of thing while the tenant would be moaning about how you were ripping them off.
....and now you may also understand why BT bodge up stuff and hope it works just of a bit longer: they cannot afford to do the repairs fully  - they cost too much.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

That's why all new cabling goes underground.
Poles are a lot to make but look at BTs total income it's billions of pounds!! £2000 is only £2 to them