cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Aerial replacement and upgrade

James
Grafter

Think my parents paid in the region of £180 when they had freeview installed, which meant some fairly hefty cabling and a booster to go onto our booster Smiley
5 REPLIES
paulby
Grafter

I take it by "rural" you mean "distant from the transmitter".  (I know some folks in a rural area that hardly need an aerial at all as the transmitter is just up the road!!)
Generally for fringe reception you need a more directional aerial (to cut out the noise and raise the SNR).  These tend to be bigger than standard aerials for use nearer the transmitter.  As such the pole they're mounted on has to be stronger and affixed to a wall or chimney rather than to the woodwork somewhere.
I paid £50 for a "standard" install in a good reception area a couple of years ago but I'd done most of the internal cabling myself up to the attic space (where I've got a distribution amp). 
The installer had quoted £140 for doing the work assuming no cabling.  I bought a 100m reel from Maplin for about £20.
I think near enough £300 is a bit OTT - have you got any other quotes? 
Community Veteran

Have a look at Dixon's "Pay Once, Watch Forever" satellite offer;
http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/skytv/?int=rhs-skytv
£75 installed with sky box, and it will work in non freeview regions.
We are officially outside of freeview reciption, and after trying freeview with large aerials etc, and suffering reception problems. We have just sold our souls to the devil and sighed up with Sky. (Non this offer)
Just double check that the channels that you want are on Freesat.
The catch;
6 months of Sky’s most popular Entertainment Mixes, ‘Variety Mix and Knowledge Mix ’.
They will have you hooked on subscription channels within the first 6 months, so you subscribe after 6 months.
Chilly
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I bought a 100m of cable and a distribution unit from ScrewFix and had 5 tele's in my house done in a day, after re-routing the cable from the aerial on the roof into the loft.  It used to go down the outside of the house straight into the living room.
Phil
Nick_Russell
Grafter

A lot of good information here...
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html
I would strongly recommend you go not get cheap cables and splitters from Maplin or B&Q.  You really need CT100 cable to reduce signal loss.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Apparently, the worst signal blockage you can have for a (freeview) aerial is leaves (that's leaves on trees). That accounts for why you should get a big aerial and stick it at the top of a dirty great pole and then mount the whole thing as high as possible (on your chimney).
For those who are thinking of DIY remember Rod Hull!