Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rats, rodents and other critters.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Rats, rodents and other critters.

It's getting colder and the little critters are looking to keep warm in our lofts - the trouble is they just love nesting, pooping, and urinating under those rolls of fibreglass. Spent a few days in the summer clearing ours out and what a rotten job it was and never replaced it as I have yet to find any insulation that is rodent proof. 

Any suggestions guys? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Rats, rodents and other critters.

Snappy rat traps  ( large size for rats..... smaller size for meeces)... ..... rat poison pellets...   fits all sizes !

Minivanman
Hero

Done all that and more - mothballs work quite well - but the little blighters still make their way back and chew up the insulation! Knuppel

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't worry too much about your loft insulation if I were you. It's the wiring insulation that will cause you a real headache if it gets gnawed through! Loft fire anyone?

How are they getting in? The loft should be vermin proof otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Community Veteran

The rules on rodent bait have changed recently. Essentially you can only buy small amounts unless you have a certificate of competence. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

I appreciate that nozzer and believe me I have done just about all I can in that respect. The eaves are sealed with wire mesh for example and all exposed wiring is covered. The issue I have is that now there is no insulation in the loft and should I replace it the little lighters will be back - I just know it!

So much for countryside cottage living Roll eyes

Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

Community Veteran

Well if you want some training (free), here's a linky http://www.rodentcontrolonfarms.co.uk/login/index.php

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A similar problem at my previous property was eventually solved with sprung traps baited with peanut butter. They were Scottish rats - maybe Welsh rats have different tastes.  Undecided

Not young enough to know everything