cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapport

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Rapport

I upgraded to Firefox 16 this morning, and noticed that the Rapport software icon had disappeared. When I went to my download folder to re-install Rapport I received a pop-up with information that Rapport isn't compatible with Win 7
That's odd as I've had Rapport installed on this (Win 7, although it is an upgrade from Vista) PC for quite a long time. 
By Googling Rapport I've found quite a lot of adverse comments to Rapport in as much that banks may use the lack of it as a means to wriggle out of any dispute with online customers. Other comments are that it is extremely CPU hungry.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Rapport

Update:
Since the "disappearance" of Rapport I have as others have suggested in the Googled reports referred to above; a quite dramatic increase of browser speed.
Is this FF16 or Rapport I wonder?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I have Rapport working on Windows 7 and Firefox version 16 with no problems so I am not sure what is happening in your case.
My suggestion would be to unistall via your Windows Control Panel>Unistall a program and then download and install a fresh version of Rapport.
With regards to your second post I haven't noticed a difference in browser speed since I installed Rapport - it is quite a useful app.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That is odd as Rapport is running on my W7 64 bit system but there isn't a Rapport icon in Firefox and Rapport is reporting that it is up to date
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Rapport is not included as a Firefox extension or add on.
I advise Petlew not to re-use the Rapport version listed in his/her Firefox downloads but to reinstall the latest version from the Trusteer.com website.
Community Veteran

Well it seems there's a later version of Rapport, the file name is rapptsetup as opposed to rapport setup. This has installed correctly. My Win7 wouldn't have the older version.
@Oldjim, there has always been an icon in my FF ever since I first started using it a few years ago, as far as I know its not optional (but maybe in view/toolbars/customise) it sits just to the right of the URL address box (black square with white half arrow at the lower half, changes to green when active)
FF has slowed again slightly on installation.

Community Veteran

Thanks cyrilclark1 I think we must have posted at the same time!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Petlew..... The "icon" is ( I think ) generated when you install(ed) Rapport.... it is grey for non protected sites and green for protected sites.... I don`t think it has anything to do with FIrefox
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Fixed using the Rapport Console - I needed to set Rapport to Hide the icon - restart the browser - then set it to Show the icon and a restart fixed it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had nothing but trouble with rapport on several occassions. Its now gone from my system and I refuse to touch it again.
As for the banks blaming you for not using it, they don't have a right to insist you install anything on your machine. Quite frankly I've always been suspicious of them recommending it anyway because until the banks started advertising it no-one knew what it was anyway.
How do you know its not spyware itself that feeds intel back to the banks? You don't. I'll bet very few people really know what it actually does internally.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

As far as I am aware none of the banks insist Rapport is installed. Several recommend it. Not sure what information they could gather with Rapport that is not already available to them via online banking.

Community Veteran

Available via online banking:
Browser details
Operating system details
Time on the site
basic stuff the browser can transmit in the request headers.
Stuff that a windows program can gather and transmit:
Operating system
OS patches / weaknesses (the latter could be used against you if you become a victim of online theft)
Browser version, plugins, plugin vulnerabilities (like above, could be used against you if it went to court)
Address book information
Credt / Debit cards that are stored on the computer
Passwords that are stored
Key logger that will log your logins / passwords (again they could argue that even though they recommended it, you've let down your security by allowing this OR they could argue that you've been sharing your logins against their TOS)
your IP (obviously)
Number of users on your computer (they could then statistically calculate the risk of your system being abused from this)
Number of different programs installed, the patches they have, the vulnerabilities they have
The type of software you have and whether its linked to fraudulent activity (even though you have it legitimately)
The amount of time your machine is left unattended and left at risk of being hacked (also ties in nicely with your house insurance policy should it burn down - they can invalidate it and refuse to pay out)
Determine how much p2p downloading you do (shows just how much 'illegal' activity you're willing to perform and that you might be a fraud risk)
Photos of all users via webcams
So many more!
Seriously, all of the above does sound far fetched doesn't it! So does a world where everyone is networked up and their online activity can be traced yet here we are with the internet and IP addresses which are logged by ISPs and available to the police / security services. Then you have to remember how many £Billions the current and previous governments bailed the banks out with. Oh and the banks only ever recommend Rapport and nothing else like Norton, AVG, Avast, McAfee.. Why? Why none of the time served brands but only their own?
Yes it does sound far fetched but as I say we're in an electronic age now and the government are not known for really caring about data protection are they. You have to ask yourself.. who have they proven their loyalty to in the way of £Billions? - You or the banks? How many times have you heard the words "surveilance society"?
Every few months facebook goes through a phase of emailing me a few people I know saying I should join up to facebook. Now, if facebook are running intelligence gathering code and working out the different people I know and are related to and they just run a website, what on earth do you think a windows program could gather?
Seriously from little seeds big things grow. Rapport may not be compulsory now but as the world becomes more and more connected you can bet that demand will be coming in the future.
Community Veteran

Oh, I`m really worried now..... think I`ll just nip off down the bank and draw all my money out, and keep it in the shed.... or under the mattress.....  Undecided
Community Veteran

LOL
That is of course all hypothetical but in the future it may well be imposed upon anyone with internet banking (which I don't use - they ain't gonna try to stiff me!). We're in an electronic age, the stuff they'll have access to will only increase not diminish.
Big industry = government support = stuff the little people.
When the phone was first invented people laughed at it thinking it didn't have much of a use etc. Then it obviously started to become popular. If you'd told people back then that tapping a phone was possible they'd probably laugh at you yet a few decades later..  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Aw shucks...  Undecided
I have got my money out of the bank and hidden in a biscuit tin under the floor of the shed. \Don`t tell anyone  Wink
  I hope it doesn`t get wet.... still, I won`t be paying any bank charges from now on... Cheesy