cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rape

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Rape

Is it my imagination, or is this years rape seed crop about 6 weeks ahead of itself...?
Or is there an "early" and a "late" crop? ( as in potatoes )
8 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Rape

If it's early, I reckon March's weather will have a lot to answer for!
Fixes: 105

Haven't seen any myself yet, on a long drive tomorrow so will keep a look out Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

The fields are full of it around here,.... acres of yellow flowers, and in the sunshine this afternoon, the scent was like a "balmy June day".....  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I was out walking through them yesterday - I was leading an 11 mile walk and all we saw was bedraggled bluebells, sorry droopy rape and a bunch of wet ramblers  Sad
James
Grafter

According to the Met Office, this April was the wettest on record.
Community Veteran

Re the above...... "Am I likely to notice any difference" ?    Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Back in our rambling days, we encountered a field of rape that should have had a footpath across it. I understand that farmers are allowed to grow crops on a public footpath as long as the path is returned to public use after harvest. But I digress, the field had been left with a very very narrow path (that's overstating its appearance) We were in difficulties almost immediately. Rape in its later stages of growth is incredibly tough, quite tall and very difficult to get through, almost dense jungle like. From a distance it looks quite benign and picturesque...don't believe it.
It took us a couple of hours to negotiate the field having lost track of where we were several times, what we needed was a machete. Whenever afterwards we ended up with a field of Rape in front of us, a detour (however long) was used in preference to that experience again.
To add insult to injury, I quickly discovered it also brought on my hay fever in great waves of sneezing and itchy eyes..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As a point of law - they are not allowed to plant a cross a public footpath and leave it until harvest.
Without checking the actual details there is a defined time period (and it is quite short) where the path must be reinstated after ploughing/sowing
I agree that with rape if the path isn't  wide enough then it can fall over the path and be a right pig to get through.