Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant - Why can't lawnmower repair places work like garages

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Rant - Why can't lawnmower repair places work like garages

Just got my lawnmower out and something wasn't right
A bit of investigation and it turns out that a bearing in the rear wheel has collapsed
OK so I need to get it fixed or fix it myself
Phone up the helpful local dealer who looked on his screen - yes the bearing seems to be easy to replace just push the new one in
OK which bearing do I need - there are two types so I give him the mower serial number and that doesn't help
So I would need to get the bearing out and look at the type
No problem you would think
Well looking at the bearing and it is rusty as heck so no way can I identify it and even then I can't see how to get it out
Now comes the reason for the rant
The mower is still usable (there are two bearings on the wheel and one still works) so I want to book it in to have the bearings replaced.
Sucks teeth - there is a three week waiting list.
No problem says me - just book it in and I will bring it in a day before it's time slot.
Sorry Sir - we need it in now and we will keep it until we have time to dismantle it and order then replace the bearings  Crazy Crazy Crazy
4 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Rant - Why can't lawnmower repair places work like garages

That is odd compared to our local lawnmower repair shop(s)
when I had to source parts for my strimmer, they bent over backwards to help, even though some parts are obsolete, they still managed to get then in at reasonable price(s) & would never ask for me to take the item in until they have the part
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can understand keeping it until it's done - you can't identify the part number, so they will have to dismantle it to ensure they get the right part. However the three week waiting time is harder to understand. Particularly if it is a ten minute job to remove it.
Still it's harder to justify a high bill if you know they have only had it a few hours. Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you can get the bearing out.. and give it a clean off with a rotary wire brush... you might be able to get a replacement from these guys,,, if you take it in to them.....

http://www.thediscdirectory.co.uk/sw/bh/bournemouth/industrial/bearing-stockists/brt-bearings-ltd-32...
Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: doris
However the three week waiting time is harder to understand.

If everyone is getting out their lawn mowers first time this year and discovering that they don't work I am not surprised that there's a queue.