Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raking it in.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Raking it in.

As the sun warms the grass, here comes the sound of summer strimmers - but do you rake up the grass or do you just sweep that path and leave it all where it is?

I do both at times as the moss can take over otherwise and a good 'comb over' with the old grass rake makes me feel better if nothing else. 

By far the worst job for me at least is replacing the cord when it runs out as the holder can be difficult to remove, reload and then refit without wanting to throw the damn lot in the bin - and did I imagine it, or can you now buy strimmers with ready loaded cartridges that can just be popped out and replaced without having to take them apart?

Hate to add to the throw away society but... 

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Raking it in.

I agree with you re strimmer lines. Their a right pain in the behind. Why can't they make them like the old mower plastic blades which are keyed and just clip on.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Strimmers......total waste of time......I spent more time replacing the cord each time it snapped than actually using the thing.

Now use a manual one with long handles......can get around my lawn in 4 or 5 minutes.....I spent longer than that fiddling with the strimmer which I will never use again.

Highlighted
Pro

@Shep41 

Do you mean like this one from Aldi. Only £20 but battery is extra. £15 for the battery and £15 for the charger.

Ferrex Cordless Lawn Trimmer SkinFerrex Cordless Lawn Trimmer Skin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well we only have a tiny back lawn (or bit of grass) out the back, and a strip out the front so for us it's ideal as anything else would be a waste of time.Smiley

But that bloody cord yes, Grrrr. 

Highlighted
Pro

Mmm I'm of to aldi to see if they have any in stock.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Shep41 

You'd have checked I'm sure, but £50 each, hopefully blades are easy enough to get, but beware of battery letting you down after a year or two? 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/lawn-trimmer,-20v-battery-%26-charger/p/000000283753700?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKT...

Highlighted
Pro

Should be in store from yesterday. If not you can order online and the whole package will be delivered free.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Free?

Aldi charged me £3.50 to have a patio brolly delivered.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

To be honest I'd quite happily leave the cut grass where it is. I like the smell of freshly cut grass however "er indoors" is the opposite of me and claims it must be tidied away...

As for strimmer cords, yeah they're a menace aren't they. I hate the damn things and the number of times the auto feed doesn't work, then you end up taking it apart, getting strimmer cord all over the place, trying to wind it back in, only to work out in the process that you got the auto feed wrong and needed to press the button (only to forget by the next time you use it and repeat it all over again)... well.. it's fastly becoming one of those "british issues" just like the weather isn't it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman 

Yes I paid the same for a patio brolly delivery. However the Aldi garden specials page clearly states this morning that the strimmer at £20 is free delivery.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@agedgopher 

What a swizz, our garden brolly was a Thursday special buy as well! Smiley

Think I'll have to dig out that store magazine the Mrs picked up when she ordered it.

Normally we'd have just gone into town and picked it up but trying to save on petrol we ordered it on-line... which was a waste of time as we then a 'please can you babysit' phone call from one of our daughters which meant two return trips into the same town anyway. Knuppel

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman 

Personally I don't think £3.50 is an exorbitant charge for a delivery. Normally Aldi deliveries are free over £40 and I have taken advantage of that on a number of occasions. The patio brolly I ordered because I could not physically get to any of the 4 stores local to us due to health issues and hospital appointments. Also I did not want to miss the item because I bought one last year and was pleased with it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@agedgopher 

I suppose not, but £3.50 saved is £3.50 saved which is all I was really saying.

Had I not had to go into town then it would have been a real bargain as I would have saved on time, petrol and parking. 

Ah well Smiley