cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising the roof

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Raising the roof

Just been reading in this forums favourite newspaper about  Yaron Ivry who raised not just the roof but his whole house 4.5 feet up.
This is nothing new and years ago someone not only lifted a building but moved it further inland.
The thing that surprises me is what he claims it cost,  £70,000 .
I would have thought it would have cost a lot more as you would not only need beams under the house but also under the hydraulic jacks used in lifting it.
Page 15 if you want a reference
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Raising the roof

I saw this on Sky News last week. Impressive bit of engineering, but it looks like they need to do a lot of replastering/redecorating inside. All cheaper than knocking the house down and starting again though.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
This is nothing new and years ago someone not only lifted a building but moved it further inland.

I think you're probably thinking of the old original light house at beachy head near eastbourne? - I remember it well, it aws all over the TV and I think even tomorrows world featured it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Ive heard of this being done before but its so expensive and no guarantee the building wont destabilise whilst being raised so often times people tear down the old and rebuild it at the new height, personally I wouldn't of bought something that wasn't raised up in this fashion within 3 feet of the top of a river bank (vertical height) because of the flooding problems it would present .....
still hats off to him it seems to be a successful operation although time will tell if it truly is or not
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I've seen them do it in the US to more extreme degrees - even moving an entire home. But I think these are timber framed rather than bricks & mortar.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Monster Moves, was a tv series on Ch 5....
here is one showing a lighthouse move ..... 23 mins long.... the actual moving part starts at about 21:40 ( time lapse )....

Community Veteran

But coming back to the house in question and the size of it the cost of £70,000  does seem low ?
No doubt a number of other people in flood plain areas will be doing the same thing.
Funny thing is he wanted to raise it by 3 feet but it was the planning department who wanted it to go to 4.5 feet.
If you built a new house and it was a foot higher than the approved plans there is every chance the planning inspector would insist the hight was reduced by a foot despite the cost to you of removing the roof.
Smiley
Community Veteran

I don't think £70,000 is the full cost though - that's just the jacking cost.
You've got to replaster/decorate. The you've got to have some building work done to hide the fact that the house is now on stilts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Moving house can be a great way to deal with bad neighbours.... as long as you hide their house carefully.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I do hope that guy did not live in Myrtle Avenue ! !
( sorry... it`s a D.M. Linky ) ......  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2730993/Is-Britain-s-noisiest-street-Hundreds-aircraft-soar-...